The Duck Thread

Great pics (you know how much I like a mixed flock) and yes Jeepers has darkened quite a bit. She is beautiful! :love   Keep an eye on her through this summer and fall.  If it is like last summer/fall was for us, she will just continue to amaze you every time you look at her. (And get some pics so you can amaze us a bit too ;) )  And I don't know if it is a breed thing, or an individual thing that has to do with preening, but Rhiannon is always the softest, fluffiest duck (with the exception of Tevye depending on the day) in our flock, but if it is a breed thing, you need to pick up Jeepers periodically just for the softness.:D

I known, i can't wait to see how Jeep will change, and my chocolate runner and Cayuga. I would love to pick her up but none of them like it, and they're very flappy. I'm actually trying to win back their trust. They have been so flighty and scared of people since Waffles died. Waffles would always come up to me for treats and eat from my hand, and give the other ducks the confidence to do the same. I just yesterday got a few of them to eat from my hand again. I dont think I'll ever have a duck that I can pick up :( but I'm trying hard to get these guys to trust me again. I really miss having a Pekin. They're the best lol

Last edited:
I known, i can't wait to see how Jeep will change, and my chocolate runner and Cayuga. I would love to pick her up but none of them like it, and they're very flappy. I'm actually trying to win back their trust. They have been so flighty and scared of people since Waffles died. Waffles would always come up to me for treats and eat from my hand, and give the other ducks the confidence to do the same. I just yesterday got a few of them to eat from my hand again. I dont think I'll ever have a duck that I can pick up
sad.png
but I'm trying hard to get these guys to trust me again. I really miss having a Pekin. They're the best lol
I have spent a lot of time picking up my ducks (they hate it) and feeding them, while held, one handful of peas or mealworms, then putting them down. That way the experience is very short and they get treats. If they are too upset to eat, after 30 seconds (or when they quit struggling), I set them down then feed them. Now there are only about 2 ducks (it changes sometimes) that won't eat while being held and only about 4 ducks that have accelerated heart rates while they are held. (So they are no longer scared, they just will never choose to be held.) I work this constantly so that If I have to examine them for anything, it will be easier on them and me. I have found that if ducks do things that scare them (even by force like being held) repeatedly and the only bad thing that happens is they are scared, then after a while, they aren't scared any more. I even have about 4 ducks now that when they realize they are going to be caught, don't bother to run around until they are cornered, they just hunker down and wait to get picked up. By the way this has nothing to do with the ducks that want to visit me. Pocahontas is one of the first ducks to come over and see me and peck at me when I have no treats, but she has to be cornered to be picked up. She isn't afraid once she is picked up, but the only way it is going to happen is if she has no choice.

I need help! I'm wanting to buy some Fertilized eggs and some baby ducklings. But I have no clue where is the best place to get them from. I want to make sure I have one drake and at least 2 ducks.

Got some groovy flock pics with the camera on my new phone yesterday.

@Tevyes Dad you were totally right about Jeepers. She went through her first adult molt over the winter and look how dark she is now. Little Jeep Jeep is looking good!

Jeepers is beautiful. I love the color pattern. What breed is she?
Linda

Got some groovy flock pics with the camera on my new phone yesterday. They look great but now this website is finicky about which can be uploaded. I dont know if they're too big or not. Still, here's what I could get uploaded.

@Tevyes Dad you were totally right about Jeepers. She went through her first adult molt over the winter and look how dark she is now. Little Jeep Jeep is looking good!

They look really good! Are you going to be hatching any ducklings this spring?

I love my boys. Hopefully getting them some females soon!
They're really cute! Is one of them a aylesbury or are they both pekins?

Jeepers is beautiful. I love the color pattern. What breed is she?
Linda
I believe she is a welsh harlequin, but I may be wrong.

They look really good! Are you going to be hatching any ducklings this spring?

They're really cute! Is one of them a aylesbury or are they both pekins?

I believe she is a welsh harlequin, but I may be wrong.

I thought she was a Harlequin. I have some shipped Silver Welsh Harlequins in the incubator now. Hope some look like her.
Linda

Back
Top Bottom