The Duck Thread

I also have shipped Runners, chocolate and gray in with the SWH. The SWH came from North Carolina ( they had a rough trip) and the Runners from Idaho.
I have never incubated shipped eggs. I will post plenty of pictures as soon as they hatch

I love my boys. Hopefully getting them some females soon!
Your boys are handsome! If you haven't mixed duck sexes before, I would get them at least 6 girls - 8 would be better. It is possible to have a happy flock with the drake to hen ratio higher than 1:4, but it requires very mellow drakes and tons of space (acres). My current drake to hen ratio is 1:5 and I have issues with an overly competitive drake. Once my current brood joins the flock my ratio will be 1:6.5 (Yup - 15 ducks and 2 are drakes) I am hoping the one drake will mellow out some then, otherwise it might be 1:13
hmm.png

Last edited:
Got some groovy flock pics with the camera on my new phone yesterday. They look great but now this website is finicky about which can be uploaded. I dont know if they're too big or not. Still, here's what I could get uploaded.

@Tevyes Dad you were totally right about Jeepers. She went through her first adult molt over the winter and look how dark she is now. Little Jeep Jeep is looking good!

love.gif
Great pics of your beautiful ducks! Thanks for sharing & congrats on getting used to your new phone.
wink.png
X2

Great pics (you know how much I like a mixed flock) and yes Jeepers has darkened quite a bit. She is beautiful!
love.gif
Keep an eye on her through this summer and fall. If it is like last summer/fall was for us, she will just continue to amaze you every time you look at her. (And get some pics so you can amaze us a bit too
wink.png
) And I don't know if it is a breed thing, or an individual thing that has to do with preening, but Rhiannon is always the softest, fluffiest duck (with the exception of Tevye depending on the day) in our flock, but if it is a breed thing, you need to pick up Jeepers periodically just for the softness.
big_smile.png
Our Welsh Harlequins feathers blow in the wind like fine hair. I can just imagine how soft they are. I'm going to try your method of working with them so I can hold and enjoy their softness some day.

I took a road trip today to pick up our new Akbash/G. Pyr. Here he is meeting the ducks.

He sat inside the duck house with me while they all came in for the night. Then he went out the duck door instead of waiting for me to open the big door. I think all of the quacking got to him, lol.

I took a road trip today to pick up our new Akbash/G. Pyr. Here he is meeting the ducks.

He sat inside the duck house with me while they all came in for the night. Then he went out the duck door instead of waiting for me to open the big door. I think all of the quacking got to him, lol.
He is beautiful. How old is he? Did he have exposure to ducks before today?

Wow, would love to see more pictures of him. He looks beautiful!

Got some groovy flock pics with the camera on my new phone yesterday. They look great but now this website is finicky about which can be uploaded. I dont know if they're too big or not. Still, here's what I could get uploaded.

@Tevyes Dad you were totally right about Jeepers. She went through her first adult molt over the winter and look how dark she is now. Little Jeep Jeep is looking good!

I went through the same thing with my pictures. I waited and tried it the next day and what do you know....it worked! Keep trying!
Beautiful ducks!

I need help! I'm wanting to buy some Fertilized eggs and some baby ducklings. But I have no clue where is the best place to get them from. I want to make sure I have one drake and at least 2 ducks.
Is there a hatchery close by? I ordered mine from Ideal Hatchery in Cameron, TX and picked them up instead of having them sent in the mail. Get them sexed that way you will have what you want. I wanted only females. I got 5 ducklings 2 weeks ago and they were healthy and thriving. 1 Pekin, 2 Cayuga and 2 Blue Swedish. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom