The Duck Thread

Can anybody tell me what breeds these two ducklings might be? A week ago I bought our first flock of 18 baby chickens. While we were at TSC my daughter asked me if we could get 2 ducklings too. I told her that I knew nothing about ducks, and would research it, but thought we needed a pond. When we found out that we didn't need a pond and could keep the ducklings with the chicks my daughter asked to add the ducks. So, today i went to TSC and bought these two ducklings. All the ducklings they had looked exactly like these little guys. Is it even possible to tell what breed(s) they are from this picture? (picture was taken this afternoon before I took them out of the box they came home in)

Hmm.. my post seems to have disappeared. Short version-- I brought home two ducklings today to join our small flock of 18 chick (chicks acquired a week ago), and I have no idea what breeds these two babies might be. I'm wondering if anyone here can help me identify the breed, or if it's even possible to ID duck breed by looks when they are this young. Thanks!

I have one blind female in one eye. I keep only one male with her that came with her. And another girl that was from there original flock. They do well the 3 of them. I would put a lot with the blind one. If he is a male then a few females. If it's a female only one male and a few other females. Keep it small with the blind one.

Hmm.. my post seems to have disappeared. Short version-- I brought home two ducklings today to join our small flock of 18 chick (chicks acquired a week ago), and I have no idea what breeds these two babies might be. I'm wondering if anyone here can help me identify the breed, or if it's even possible to ID duck breed by looks when they are this young. Thanks!

Mallard bottom and Peking on top
thumbsup.gif

Looks to me to be a Peeking and a Rouen duckling both are great ducklings.

Got some groovy flock pics with the camera on my new phone yesterday. They look great but now this website is finicky about which can be uploaded. I dont know if they're too big or not. Still, here's what I could get uploaded.

@Tevyes Dad you were totally right about Jeepers. She went through her first adult molt over the winter and look how dark she is now. Little Jeep Jeep is looking good!

Last edited:
Got some groovy flock pics with the camera on my new phone yesterday. They look great but now this website is finicky about which can be uploaded. I dont know if they're too big or not. Still, here's what I could get uploaded.

@Tevyes Dad you were totally right about Jeepers. She went through her first adult molt over the winter and look how dark she is now. Little Jeep Jeep is looking good!

Great pics (you know how much I like a mixed flock) and yes Jeepers has darkened quite a bit. She is beautiful!
love.gif
Keep an eye on her through this summer and fall. If it is like last summer/fall was for us, she will just continue to amaze you every time you look at her. (And get some pics so you can amaze us a bit too
wink.png
) And I don't know if it is a breed thing, or an individual thing that has to do with preening, but Rhiannon is always the softest, fluffiest duck (with the exception of Tevye depending on the day) in our flock, but if it is a breed thing, you need to pick up Jeepers periodically just for the softness.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom