The Duck Thread

I am having a duck issue. I have a 5 week old pekin, not sure if male or female and I have 8 4 week old chickens. They are all housed together and get along great. The pekin is the boss. A week ago my husband brought home 3 new day old chicks and 1 day old duckling. My older chicks are fine with the new additions, however my pekin is not and kept attacking them. We of course separated them right away. They are in the same coop but fenced off to where the pekin can't get to them. It's an insulated coop with heat light and at night I but my sweet bantam girl in with them for extra warmth. Anyways I was in there yesterday and pekin saw them through the fence and tried to get them of course it couldnt. My question is am I going to get the pekin to accept them? Why is it being so aggressive to the new ones. He's so sweet to me .everytime I go out there he does this whistle and comes right over to be pet.

Last edited:

OH nooooo. I'm so sorry. She is very dilute I know she is a mix. The lady I got eggs from only had Pekin ducks(females). She is the love of my life. One of the sweetest I have. My drake stay separate most of the time because they have 1 favorite and she really looks bad when they are together. Again, I'm sorry for your loss
Linda

Wow, I didn't realize all the parents were white or nearly white! I'm no geneticist, but I think that the pekin drake crossing with the other hen somehow brings out the hidden colors underneath the drakes white plumage.
Wow, I didn't realize all the parents were white or nearly white! I'm no geneticist, but I think that the pekin drake crossing with the other hen somehow brings out the hidden colors underneath the drakes white plumage.

I really do not know. The lady I got the eggs from only had Pekin females and a Pekin drake and a drake like my dark billed female. She called the drake a " dusty". Could not find any duck breed like that. They are just pets so really does not matter. Just interesting. I'm out of room for now. But next year may try each male with her to see what the result will be.
Thanks. Linda

Can anyone help me figure out what breed these 2 brown ducklings are. I know they are mix. But the parents look Pekin. I hatched their eggs and got these along with Pekins. Pictures from a few days to 1 month.

Thanks. Linda

Could they be pekin/mallard? They look like my Pekin/mallard when she was young.

Last edited:
Code:
'
Could they be pekin/mallard? They look like my Pekin/mallard when she was young.

That looks exactly like their baby pictures. Thank you so much.. The mommas and the pappas (the adults) give me a lot of color mixtures. So much fun to incubate-just to see outcome. Mystery solved.
Thanks again. Linda

Hi everyone :frow I haven't been in here in awhile thanks to being crazy busy with my move, but things are settling down now (although we are still not actually moved into the new place, lol). I'm just about to start incubating some duck eggs - khaki campbells starting tomorrow (I'll be doing six eggs and my goose will get the other six) and then hopefully some WH the next week. First incubation of the season! Just fired up the incubator tonight and it heated up like a charm.

I hadsome nice time with the birds yesterday evening. Spoiled the big ducks with some foraging time, and spoiled the little ones with lots of treats.

I think the ducks are getting antsy to join the adults. Eggos watched them wistfully through the cage.

My girl Gobbles.

The male buff sat on my lap for a while.

Black hen, I think

Red cockerel, I think

It's kind of sweet how broken wing always beds down with the chick we kept in his hospital cage for company.

Back
Top Bottom