The Duck Thread

Can anyone help me figure out what breed these 2 brown ducklings are. I know they are mix. But the parents look Pekin. I hatched their eggs and got these along with Pekins. Pictures from a few days to 1 month.

Thanks. Linda

I have a duckling that is about two weeks old. All day today it has had labored breathing and sounds like there is water in its lungs? Almost a weezing. It is worse when it drinks or is swimming. No other symptoms. Please help!!!!!

Alright first you say your new ducklings are only about two weeks old alright I can work with that ..

First how warm is it where you are ?

Next the momma duck always keeps its baby's warm and all it takes is a regular light bulb not a heat lamp as most people think .

What are you feeding your ducklings is very important and a hard boiled egg will work a duck egg even better but an egg has everything a baby needs to grow and be healthy, I learned this little trick from my grandpa in the 1960 when I was but a lad and he learned it when he was a youngster so if it has worked all these years there must be something to it, ya kind of like putting honey on a open wound it will help seal and heal the wound well the Romans used it and the Egyptians and it will work today ..

Oh and try some ACV in the drinking water it never hearts .

Now I only hatch and raise several hundred chicks a year so I might know what I am doing
D.gif

gander007
old.gif

It's really hard to tell hybrid ducks, but I think they may be partially Rouen?

Thank you for the reply. That was my thought. These are the adults. They produced all the ducklings in the pictures. Some of the offspring look Sweedish.
The suspect duck is the female in front with dark bill. Drake is on the left.

thanks again Linda

Can anyone help me figure out what breed these 2 brown ducklings are. I know they are mix. But the parents look Pekin. I hatched their eggs and got these along with Pekins. Pictures from a few days to 1 month.

Thanks. Linda

Thank you for the reply. That was my thought. These are the adults. They produced all the ducklings in the pictures. Some of the offspring look Sweedish.

thanks again Linda
Suspect duck looks like Swedish and Khaki. There definitely looks like some Swedish in those babies.
love.gif

Alright first you say your new ducklings are only about two weeks old alright I can work with that ..

First how warm is it where you are ?

Next the momma duck always keeps its baby's warm and all it takes is a regular light bulb not a heat lamp as most people think .

What are you feeding your ducklings is very important and a hard boiled egg will work a duck egg even better but an egg has everything a baby needs to grow and be healthy, I learned this little trick from my grandpa in the 1960 when I was but a lad and he learned it when he was a youngster so if it has worked all these years there must be something to it, ya kind of like putting honey on a open wound it will help seal and heal the wound well the Romans used it and the Egyptians and it will work today ..

Oh and try some ACV in the drinking water it never hearts .

Now I only hatch and raise several hundred chicks a year so I might know what I am doing :cd

gander007 :old    

Temp is my house is 68. Temp in the brooder at the warmest spot is about 85. I've been putting ACV in the water from the start (Braggs with the mother). Boiling eggs right now! Feed is a chick/duck crumble from tractor supply. I have Tetroxy hca-280. Do you think it's respiratory infection? Should I try that?

Suspect duck looks like Swedish and Khaki.  There definitely looks like some Swedish in those babies.:love

Your guess is as good as any. I hatched them last year. We're supposed to be pure Pekin. I do not really care. Just find it interesting to get SO many different looking ducklings. Love them all. Was unsure about the Browns.
Thanks. Linda

Your guess is as good as any. I hatched them last year. We're supposed to be pure Pekin. I do not really care. Just find it interesting to get SO many different looking ducklings. Love them all. Was unsure about the Browns.
Thanks. Linda
I love the colors also. I had a Blue Swedish sit on assorted eggs from a Khaki Campbell drake with 3 Pekins, Blue Swedish and Black Swedish hens (black no longer with us
hit.gif
. Here are the colors I got...

thanks again Linda
Wow, I didn't realize all the parents were white or nearly white! I'm no geneticist, but I think that the pekin drake crossing with the other hen somehow brings out the hidden colors underneath the drakes white plumage.

Back
Top Bottom