The Duck Thread

I just can't contain myself. Right now, as I write this, my baby ducklings are hatching at Metzer's. They are my first birds ever and the first pet I've been able to have in years, and as an avid animal lover is been rough.
But I've dotted my i's and crossed my t's. I've checked with Metzer's and post office. And as of Wednesday (hopefully) I will be a proud ducky mama. I'm just so excited I had to say so when to people who get it :)
Gaaaaaaaaaaah! Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks!!!

I just can't contain myself. Right now, as I write this, my baby ducklings are hatching at Metzer's. They are my first birds ever and the first pet I've been able to have in years, and as an avid animal lover is been rough.
But I've dotted my i's and crossed my t's. I've checked with Metzer's and post office. And as of Wednesday (hopefully) I will be a proud ducky mama. I'm just so excited I had to say so when to people who get it
smile.png

Awesome!!!
Getting new pets is always so exciting! What kind are you getting? You are posting pictures when you get them, right?

My friend and I just got our ducklings!! We both got pine shavings but they are trying to eat them so we covered them with doggy pads for now. Will they stop trying to eat them? Should we get rid of the shavings all together? Thanks. :)

Awesome!!! Ducklings are so much fun! Mine did the same thing with pine shavings. I just put paper towels on top for the first week. Now they're just fine with pine shavings and don't eat them. When you do end up using the shavings, it's normal for them to eat a little at first, but cover them up if they are eating them nonstop. Have fun with your ducklings!
smile.png

My new additions hatched 19th-20th.

Just out of the incubator.

This ones from this morning

Doing what they do best. :lol:
CONGRATS
love.gif

But I've dotted my i's and crossed my t's. I've checked with Metzer's and post office. And as of Wednesday (hopefully) I will be a proud ducky mama. I'm just so excited I had to say so when to people who get it
smile.png

YAY
wee.gif
So happy for you. Be sure to post pictures when you get them
smile.png

My friend and I just got our ducklings!! We both got pine shavings but they are trying to eat them so we covered them with doggy pads for now. Will they stop trying to eat them? Should we get rid of the shavings all together? Thanks.
smile.png
welcome-byc.gif
Congrats on your new ducklings. Unfortunately they will do that. Just keep them shavings covered til they are a bit older. I use those disposable bed pads in my brooders for the first 2 or so weeks and then I buy the large flake shavings hoping they don't eat them. I always make sure they have extra grit just to be safe.

Last edited:
My friend and I just got our ducklings!! We both got pine shavings but they are trying to eat them so we covered them with doggy pads for now. Will they stop trying to eat them? Should we get rid of the shavings all together? Thanks.
smile.png
I had shavings (be sure they are the flaked size) with mine, they would pick it up and mouth it but never eat it. They were on shavings until I moved them outside at about 7 weeks.

Congratulations on your new friends!!!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom