The Duck Thread

Hello! I have two pekin ducks, and I just got four ducklings. I believe that I have one pekin and two Rouen's, but I'm not 100% sure of the fourth type. S/he is all black. does anyone have any ideas? and confirmation possibly about the other two? Thank you in advance!

Hello! I have two pekin ducks, and I just got four ducklings. I believe that I have one pekin and two Rouen's, but I'm not 100% sure of the fourth type. S/he is all black. does anyone have any ideas? and confirmation possibly about the other two? Thank you in advance!

1 pekin, 2 mallards, and 1 Cayuga or possibly a black runner.

I'm pretty sure your black one is a cayuga,runners are usually harder to find. My black runner baby looks the same as a Cayuga. Cayuga ducks are all black with a green/purple shine to their feathers

Thank you! I had no idea what the black one might be. S/he is very sweet. I hadn't even thought of mallards, I can't wait until they get a bit older to really tell

Yes, most people think if mallards as the wild birds and not pets when a lot of people actually keep them.
I can see yours are mallards not rouens because of their eye stripes. Rouen will have 2 think eye stripes while mallards have 1 eye stripe. Good luck with your babies!

Has anyone ever tried using chicken wire for fencing with barbed wire woven in to keep predators from chewing and scratching?
Also does anyone have any experience with WHs? I'm getting some the end of this month. Super excited but I can't stop reading about them! Oops...

Has anyone ever tried using chicken wire for fencing with barbed wire woven in to keep predators from chewing and scratching?
Also does anyone have any experience with WHs? I'm getting some the end of this month. Super excited but I can't stop reading about them! Oops...

I breed WHs :) They're my favorite duck breed hands down. Docile, friendly, beautiful, and good layers. I've got eggs in the 'bator due the 20th. I'm so glad they're making a comeback. When I started with them they were on the ALBC's critically endangered list. Just recently they were updated to Watch status instead, which is great.

Last edited:
Once Muscovy ducks hatch. Using the mother to incubate do the ducklings need to go into a brooder

There's two kinds of brooding. Natural, and artificial. Artificial is what we humans do- heat lamps and such. Natural is by a mother, their duck (or chicken or whatever) mother. So no. The mother broods them.

Back
Top Bottom