The Duck Thread

Does anyone have much success with nesting boxes? I'm thinking of adding one to my coop, but how successful are they? Is it worth it?
Also what age should my ducks start laying?
Will ducks breed and brood in early fall/late summer?
Thanks
smile.png
My pekins started laying at about 6 months. They use a nesting box all the time. I have 7 ducks and 2 boxes. I collect the eggs each morning but leave a ceramic egg in the nest at all times. They will go into their enclosure to lay their eggs in the nesting box. I highly recommend the boxes.

I don't know about breed and brood. Mine are all hens.

Good luck!
M

We have nesting boxes in with our Cayugas and usually there are one or two eggs in the boxes and the rest just around the coop floor. They do make nest and share them so that there will be from 3-6 eggs in a nest but not in a box. Also, they usually lay from4-8 eggs just out and about their run/field.
Mine make their nest IN the box. I just pile hay in the box and they make a nest out of it.

In the process of putting in a duck pond, and my plan was to use sand around the pond, looked at a friends pond and realized that would be a pain since the ducks just bring tons of it into the pool. So figured I would use pea gravel but ended up buying gravel AND this rubber mulch stuff. Should I put the rubber on top of the gravel or underneath? Wondering if I need to be worried about the ducks eating the rubber. Thanks

Hello...I'm getting my first ducklings (blue Swedish) in in Friday and was just curious what everyone does with thier ducks? What do the eggs taste like? And best feed when they mature? Thank you!

Mine are not smart enought to make the nest in the box. They take the hay out of the box and build their nest in the corner. Dumb Ducks.
Maybe they are thinking, 'dummy adults, why they putting the hay there?' LOL

I had a girl build in a corner. I moved her into a nest box. She hatched 20 and now I can't get her to go back into the box, lol. I have a dog house that one girl is using, an upside down barrel another is using and a rubber maid tub that no one uses. The rest just lay their eggs wherever they fall, lol.

OMG, this guy looks like he is wearing a diaper. They are BEAUTIFUL, all of them!

Maybe they are thinking, 'dummy adults, why they putting the hay there?'  LOL

I had a girl build in a corner.  I moved her into a nest box.  She hatched 20 and now I can't get her to go back into the box, lol.  I have a dog house that one girl is using, an upside down barrel another is using and a rubber maid tub that no one uses.  The rest just lay their eggs wherever they fall, lol.

OMG, this guy looks like he is wearing a diaper.  They are BEAUTIFUL, all of them!
i like to think it as his built in shorts. Thank you

Hello...I'm getting my first ducklings (blue Swedish) in in Friday and was just curious what everyone does with thier ducks? What do the eggs taste like? And best feed when they mature? Thank you!
I have mine for eggs (although they aren't laying just yet!) I don't know what the best feed is when they mature, but I feed mine turkey/gamebird grower until they start laying, when I'll switch to layer pellets.
Have fun with your ducklings! Blue Swedish are very pretty!

Back
Top Bottom