The Duck Thread

I see you have Swedish ducks. I have noticed that my Black Swedish don't get in the water to swim as much as the Cayuga and Pekin. Have you noticed that or am I just the odd ball? They do go into the pool but more often than not they just stand around watching the other ducks swim. I have 2 hens and they both do it.

Mandy

Swedish is all I have, so I dont have anything to compare to, but thinking about it, they don't swim all the time. They take turns in the pool, and laze around the yard all day. I have some separate on my pond and they are off the pond alot too. They all do like to spend the night on the water though!

:frow everyone.  I've been busy treating a snapping turtle attack, trying to get the &!%# turtle, and we are re-digging our pond.  Days have been long and exhausting.  Just wanted to say hey:frow

Ewww, hope you get that sucker!! My neighbors caught 2 turtles, after one got one of their Indies. Now none of the ducks will get near the pond. Can't even throw them in the water. They scurry right back out. Good luck!!

Last edited:
frow.gif
everyone. I've been busy treating a snapping turtle attack, trying to get the &!%# turtle, and we are re-digging our pond. Days have been long and exhausting. Just wanted to say hey
frow.gif

HI
frow.gif
@Ren2014 Hope your not using a shovel to re dig lol that may take a while ..How are your 2 patients doing?

I need help!!! I have 4 ducks (2 Pekins and 2 Rouens) a male and female of each. They are free range all day and I have a house with a small yard for them at night. They used to go in their house easily, I would put some food in and they would run up the ramp and I would close the door. Now they refuse to go in. They even go in shifts to eat the food so I cannot close them all in. I don't know what to do. We don't have any predators in my neighborhood unless a neighbors dog gets loose, at least that I know of. The main problem is that I am hoping to collect their eggs but who knows where they might lay them in the yard. They are young. Born just before Easter. Any ideas??
@urbanfarminslc When they go in to eat in the small yard you have I assume it's fenced? herd them inside then give them a tasty treat like dried meal worms. But ducks herd very well and once they get into a routine and realize what you want they are pretty good at doing what you want. You might have to be persistent but they will get it eventually.

I use a long pole if mine are out on the half acre to guide them but I can also just open my arms up and walk slowly behind them and they will herd. Also I have used a can with lid and put meal worms and corn in it and shake it so they hear it and whistle when they all get into the small fenced area they get their treat and I close the gate behind them. Lots of ways to get them to do what you want because believe me neighborhood dogs are one of the worse preds out there for ducks and once you have ducks you will find out real quick what other "wild predators" you have and most love duck.

Question is their house well ventilated? and what does the ramp look like you say they run up it so it must not be too steep is it wide? post a pic if you can.

Welcome to BYC!!

Of course I told her... and she promptly searched my hand for extra meal worms, lol... I let her into the front yard this afternoon and she even foraged a bit... keeping her eyes open a lot more and is doing much better... I will definitely keep you updated...
smile.png

Good luck on getting that turtle... and thanks for the kind thoughts for Io...
smile.png
Aw, she knows I love her
hugs.gif
. Sweet little burd. I am so happy she's doing so much better. I don't want Baby in discomfort. I love that you are so exceptional at treating these little innocents, Rav
smile.png

frow.gif
everyone. I've been busy treating a snapping turtle attack, trying to get the &!%# turtle, and we are re-digging our pond. Days have been long and exhausting. Just wanted to say hey
frow.gif
Best of luck. I hope you get that turtle soon!! Keep us updated on your progress.

I need help!!! I have 4 ducks (2 Pekins and 2 Rouens) a male and female of each. They are free range all day and I have a house with a small yard for them at night. They used to go in their house easily, I would put some food in and they would run up the ramp and I would close the door. Now they refuse to go in. They even go in shifts to eat the food so I cannot close them all in. I don't know what to do. We don't have any predators in my neighborhood unless a neighbors dog gets loose, at least that I know of. The main problem is that I am hoping to collect their eggs but who knows where they might lay them in the yard. They are young. Born just before Easter. Any ideas??

My first though was something in your duck house is bothering them. Bugs, lack of ventilation or something like that. Mine go to bed on their own every night. I've moved their house 3 times and they go wherever I put them. We don't free range though. They have a pen and use their house for shade when it's hot out. We also don't use a ramp. We use a concrete slab and built the house over it. Maybe the ladder is hard to use?

She has an issue with her eyes right now... our nasty neighbors are getting evicted and they dumped a bunch of pesticides across their yard and think they got some through our fence... both her eyes are swollen, weepy and irritated... am flushing them often and giving her Cipro eye drops...
fl.gif
Wow I missed this. So sorry poor thing is having to go through this. Glad to hear she is getting better.
hugs.gif

Aw, she knows I love her:hugs .  Sweet little burd.  I am so happy she's doing so much better.  I don't want Baby in discomfort.  I love that you are so exceptional at treating these little innocents, Rav :)

I just try my best, JB... can't afford vet bill, and most around here only do large livestock or cats & dogs, so I learn the most I can and aply most appropriate treatment...

Eyes are little less swollen and looking a tiny bit clearer now...

Wow I missed this. So sorry poor thing is having to go through this. Glad to hear she is getting better.  :hugs

Thanks, Miss Lydia... :hugs

She is doing better, luckily it doesn't appear that she ingested anything... eyes are getting clearer each day...

Back
Top Bottom