The Duck Thread

Oh goodness, this is probably one of the worst things that's happened yet.
hit.gif
Our five Mallard drakes must've strayed out to the road while we were busy getting our pond up and running, and some idiot came by and hit every single one of them. One smashed in the road, one dead out in the field with no sign of injuries, it honestly looked like he bedded down to nap and passed away, two bloodied, limping, and in shock, but alive, and one with a broken wing and possible internal injuries. When we found the latter, he was lying in the middle of the road beside his decimated brother, unable to move or even try to escape us. (which is a very bad sign since he is such a wild bird) I originally thought there was no hope for him, but now I'm not so sure. After a little rest, he can finally stand up a little, though he's leaning heavily towards the side where he's got the broken wing. Still unable to walk, but crawling seems more doable. Is there anything I can do to help his wing? Thank you so much in advance.

He's on the right in the above picture.

~Alex
Oh my, that is terrible!!

So sorry Alex.
hugs.gif

Oh goodness, this is probably one of the worst things that's happened yet.
hit.gif
Our five Mallard drakes must've strayed out to the road while we were busy getting our pond up and running, and some idiot came by and hit every single one of them. One smashed in the road, one dead out in the field with no sign of injuries, it honestly looked like he bedded down to nap and passed away, two bloodied, limping, and in shock, but alive, and one with a broken wing and possible internal injuries. When we found the latter, he was lying in the middle of the road beside his decimated brother, unable to move or even try to escape us. (which is a very bad sign since he is such a wild bird) I originally thought there was no hope for him, but now I'm not so sure. After a little rest, he can finally stand up a little, though he's leaning heavily towards the side where he's got the broken wing. Still unable to walk, but crawling seems more doable. Is there anything I can do to help his wing? Thank you so much in advance.

He's on the right in the above picture.

~Alex
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

-Kathy

Thank you all so much for the love, prayers,and wonderful help.
hugs.gif
I can't believe how someone could be so heartless and cruel. Leaving a hurt-but-still-living bird in the middle of the road for another driver to hit is just sickening.
sad.png
I will definitely wrap the wing, and we might have some turmeric lying around here, but as for meds, all we have at the moment is Aspirin. Would that be alright to administer to him, and if so, does anyone know the dosage? Or should he be given different pain killers?

~Alex
No Aspirin. It thins the blood and if there is internal damage/bleeding it will do more harm. So sorry this has happened. I just don't understand some people. Poor ducks.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom