The Duck Thread

Great advice all thank you. I'm getting the hang of it but there isn't much fight in her still. I'm careful to make sure that I hold her tongue and slide whatever I give her along the top bill to avoid her airways. I think holding her between my legs is a great idea. I already feed them fermented feed so it's pretty soft and mushy, but she still won't eat on her own. She is drinking more so I've been putting honey and/or a little acv in for her. I know bread isn't the best for her but I've been soaking it in her water and then using it with her pills and then ball or 2 of that. If anyone has a healthier food suggestion I could try to feed her that instead. She does seem to be improving slowly.

Oh goodness, this is probably one of the worst things that's happened yet.
hit.gif
Our five Mallard drakes must've strayed out to the road while we were busy getting our pond up and running, and some idiot came by and hit every single one of them. One smashed in the road, one dead out in the field with no sign of injuries, it honestly looked like he bedded down to nap and passed away, two bloodied, limping, and in shock, but alive, and one with a broken wing and possible internal injuries. When we found the latter, he was lying in the middle of the road beside his decimated brother, unable to move or even try to escape us. (which is a very bad sign since he is such a wild bird) I originally thought there was no hope for him, but now I'm not so sure. After a little rest, he can finally stand up a little, though he's leaning heavily towards the side where he's got the broken wing. Still unable to walk, but crawling seems more doable. Is there anything I can do to help his wing? Thank you so much in advance.

He's on the right in the above picture.

~Alex

Last edited:
Oh goodness, this is probably one of the worst things that's happened yet. :hit Our five Mallard drakes must've strayed out to the road while we were busy getting our pond up and running, and some idiot came by and hit every single one of them. One smashed in the road, one dead out in the field with no sign of injuries, it honestly looked like he bedded down to nap and passed away, two bloodied, limping, and in shock, but alive, and one with a broken wing and possible internal injuries. When we found the latter, he was lying in the middle of the road beside his decimated brother, unable to move or even try to escape us. (which is a very bad sign since he is such a wild bird) I originally thought there was no hope for him, but now I'm not so sure. After a little rest, he can finally stand up a little, though he's leaning heavily towards the side where he's got the broken wing. Still unable to walk, but crawling seems more doable. Is there anything I can do to help his wing? Thank you so much in advance. He's on the right in the above picture. ~Alex
Poor babies!! :hit :hugs Vet is best, but I know that's not always an option... setting bird bones is super tricky due to hollow bones... I'd see if you can secure the wing so he doesn't flap it around if he gets startled and injures it more... I'm not sure on pain relief options... @Miss Lydia @Amiga @casportpony Think they might knkw what you can give him and maybe have more input on help... so sorry this happened... :(

Oh goodness, this is probably one of the worst things that's happened yet.
hit.gif
Our five Mallard drakes must've strayed out to the road while we were busy getting our pond up and running, and some idiot came by and hit every single one of them. One smashed in the road, one dead out in the field with no sign of injuries, it honestly looked like he bedded down to nap and passed away, two bloodied, limping, and in shock, but alive, and one with a broken wing and possible internal injuries. When we found the latter, he was lying in the middle of the road beside his decimated brother, unable to move or even try to escape us. (which is a very bad sign since he is such a wild bird) I originally thought there was no hope for him, but now I'm not so sure. After a little rest, he can finally stand up a little, though he's leaning heavily towards the side where he's got the broken wing. Still unable to walk, but crawling seems more doable. Is there anything I can do to help his wing? Thank you so much in advance.

He's on the right in the above picture.

~Alex
How or Why would anyone want to run over them! Surely they saw five of them! So sorry! Good luck.
Mandy

A vet is really best . . . meanwhile, you could try to place the wing in the proper position and use vet wrap or similar to hold in in place - perhaps the thread on wrapping angel wing might be good information.

Electrolytes and vitamins in the water might help with shock, keep them warm enough, they may have trouble regulating their body temperature right now...

Turmeric is a safe natural anti-inflammatory, but I don't know of solid information about dosage. I don't think it can hurt - I asked the vet about it. What they can prescribe is stuff like Rimadyl and Metacam (I believe those are the anti-inflammatories that are used to redue pain).

Plenty of fresh water is important, as well.

Hugs, prayers.

A vet is really best . . . meanwhile, you could try to place the wing in the proper position and use vet wrap or similar to hold in in place - perhaps the thread on wrapping angel wing might be good information.

Electrolytes and vitamins in the water might help with shock, keep them warm enough, they may have trouble regulating their body temperature right now...

Turmeric is a safe natural anti-inflammatory, but I don't know of solid information about dosage. I don't think it can hurt - I asked the vet about it. What they can prescribe is stuff like Rimadyl and Metacam (I believe those are the anti-inflammatories that are used to redue pain).

Plenty of fresh water is important, as well.

Hugs, prayers.
@Alexandra33 Oh my goodness how awful I am so sorry for your loss. I sure hope these 2 make it. I just wanted to add to what Amiga said when using vet wrap you have to be very careful not to wrap too tight or circulation can be cut off. I believe both medications she mentioned have to be gotten from a vet but if you have other animals that a vet looks after they may sell you some or even look at your ducks. Please keep us updated..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...how-we-wrap-to-mend-it-pictorial#post_8682154
Here is the thread about wrapping for angel wing it may help you on how to wrap your drake.

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for the love, prayers,and wonderful help.
hugs.gif
I can't believe how someone could be so heartless and cruel. Leaving a hurt-but-still-living bird in the middle of the road for another driver to hit is just sickening.
sad.png
I will definitely wrap the wing, and we might have some turmeric lying around here, but as for meds, all we have at the moment is Aspirin. Would that be alright to administer to him, and if so, does anyone know the dosage? Or should he be given different pain killers?

~Alex

I do not know how to update my last post, so I guess I make a new one. I thought my duck possibly had bumble foot. I promised an update . I never found a black spot or obvious wound. Once the swelling went down I could feel a bump / indent in her toe. I do believe she has broken that toe. I continued to soak, neosporin and wrap her foot for a few more days just to be sure it wasn't infected. She is now walking with no limp and keeps up with the others. Her toe is still somewhat swollen but it does not appear to be bothering her anymore. Thanks for all your help.

Thank you all so much for the love, prayers,and wonderful help.
hugs.gif
I can't believe how someone could be so heartless and cruel. Leaving a hurt-but-still-living bird in the middle of the road for another driver to hit is just sickening.
sad.png
I will definitely wrap the wing, and we might have some turmeric lying around here, but as for meds, all we have at the moment is Aspirin. Would that be alright to administer to him, and if so, does anyone know the dosage? Or should he be given different pain killers?

~Alex
Seems I remember someone posting aspirin can hurt the kidneys of water fowl.. You'd best research first before using. But here is a list of meds that are safe.

https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/medicine-chart

Back
Top Bottom