The Duck Thread

Hi there! I am new here, I have 2 ducks that are mallard crosses.
They are about 7 months old now! I am unsure of their sex though, any help with that would be great. I have been told they are both females, but who knows!
Here they are from ducklings to now. I am used to raising chickens, so this was a little different, and much more messy lol! Their personalities are fantastic though.
big_smile.png
love.gif

Mallard crosses? They look like Swedish to me!
Anyone have a funny curly feather on the tail? If not (and I dont see any) then you dont have boys. Also, girls quack loudly, and boys make funny woonk noises. If you are confused, you can search utube for videos of the difference

Anyone have a funny curly feather on the tail? If not (and I dont see any) then you dont have boys. Also, girls quack loudly, and boys make funny woonk noises. If you are confused, you can search utube for videos of the difference 

X2 Or maybe Swedish Mallard crosses.

Last edited:

X2 Or maybe Swedish Mallard crosses.

I know for sure their mother was a Mallard, unsure about what the father was though! No curly feathers on their tails, and they do quack a lot. Thank you for the help!

You got girls then!
thumbsup.gif
Bet ya cant wait for eggs huh?
big_smile.png

I have a hard time believing they are crosses, they look very much like proper swedish!
idunno.gif
Lol

Yes, I have yet to try duck eggs, hear they are great for baking! Should they be laying soon as they are 7 months? Although, it has been a colder than normal winter and my chickens have slowed down and even stopped.

They do look like Swedish. The guy I got them from said that this white duck(in picture) was their mother and he says that this is a mallard? Not from my research, I thought a Pekin??? Maybe he just doesn't even know what he's talking about and telling me the wrong info! I would believe the other duck in this picture would be their mother.
lol.png

Yes, I have yet to try duck eggs, hear they are great for baking! Should they be laying soon as they are 7 months? Although, it has been a colder than normal winter and my chickens have slowed down and even stopped.

They do look like Swedish. The guy I got them from said that this white duck(in picture) was their mother and he says that this is a mallard? Not from my research, I thought a Pekin??? Maybe he just doesn't even know what he's talking about and telling me the wrong info! I would believe the other duck in this picture would be their mother.
lol.png

Ok, me is veeery confused. Swedish ducks out of a pekin and a welsh...aint never seen anything like it! And both females to boot!

My saxony started laying last month! Yup, in the middle of winter
hu.gif

I would expect eggs by May from them though

Last edited:

lol.png

Duck eggs are great for baking
big_smile.png
! And, honestly, I think you did your reseach correctly... Those two ducks look like a Pekin and a Welsh Harlequin - furthermore, neither of them has a curled feather at their tails (Drake feather), which leads me to believe that they are female! And if one of those ducks were by chance a boy, I don't know how you could have gotten a Black Swedish out of a WH and Pekin... Could there have been a mix-up? Your ducks look like purebred Black Swedish ducks to me
hu.gif

Duck eggs are great for baking
big_smile.png
! And, honestly, I think you did your reseach correctly... Those two ducks look like a Pekin and a Welsh Harlequin - furthermore, neither of them has a curled feather at their tails (Drake feather), which leads me to believe that they are female! And if one of those ducks were by chance a boy, I don't know how you could have gotten a Black Swedish out of a WH and Pekin... Could there have been a mix-up? Your ducks look like purebred Black Swedish ducks to me
hu.gif

X2

Back
Top Bottom