The Duck Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZakoHero, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I use chicken layer - and I add calcium.

2. Darnbunnies

Darnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Our Khaki Campbells enjoy the same scratch and lay pellets we buy for our chickens. The protein content is sufficient. We supplement their diets with oyster shell, garden and kitchen scraps, and boiled eggs smashed along with their shells. -DB

3. Darnbunnies

Have you tried shelf liner. It is grippy and porous and washable. There are lots of brands available this one just happens to be called DUCK Brand: http://www.amazon.com/Duck-1100731-...831570&sr=1-2&keywords=drawer+and+shelf+liner

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  4. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2013
    I have a couple of small holes in my pools, I was going to put some gorilla glue or caulk on the outside to seal it. Would either of those be harmful to the ducks? I thought it would be ok since it will be outside the pool where the duck really wouldn't have much contact with it.

5. Darnbunnies

We mend cracks in our pools with Shoe Goo. It is thick and slightly pliable when "dry." It works very well if applied when the surface is dry and left to cure for 12 hours. -DB

1 person likes this.
  6. Honey Maid

Honey Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    State of Jefferson
    Hey Darnbunnies! Thanks for the great idea about thr shoe goo, I'll keep that in mind. Love BYC, Tons of great ideas!

7. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2013
    Interesting, I had never thought to use that. How long will it last? Do you have to replace it very often? Thanks for the help!

8. Lizzy456

Lizzy456 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2015
    Thanks , I will probably give them oyster shell along with grit at mealtimes.

9. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Ok seriously ducklings, how long does it take to hatch?? Its been over 24 hours sense first pip and not one has totally unzipped... I'm starting to understand why there seem to be so many assisted duck hatches.... They sure take their time...
    This is normal right?

10. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks says they "require 24 to 48 hours to completely rim the shell and exit".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by