The Duck Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZakoHero, Jan 17, 2013.

1. LadyIsadora

LadyIsadora Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    yeah, I have a question about that 10 years thing. I was reading somewhere that they stop laying after a couple or so years. I dont remember where I read that but I would really like to know the truth of it. It will make a huge difference in how I manage my flock. I will have Rouen and golden 300 ducks and MAYBE a pekin if they pick up on their foraging. They did do a bit better today.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

I have 1 drake that was 11 yrs old this month and i have a duck who will be 11 in July, My 10yr old duck laid a couple eggs last year. My 8 yr old just laid her first egg today and she laid all last summer. mine are Muscovy so by end of Sept they are through for the year. They may not lay as many as as often once they reach 3 yrs on but I don't just have mine for eggs and dif not meat so I don't mind having them around for as long as they care to stay. They have wiped out the grass hopper pop here and most other nuisance bugs so I am happy with them plus they make me laugh. best therapy in the world. As far as foraging here there has to be something to forage. Winter isn't a good time for foraging here in the mountains but once it begins to warm and things begin to grow mine love to forage.

3. PotatoWaffles

PotatoWaffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    My ducks discovered the pool. They love it so much they lost their heads! See??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Potato and Waffles are starting to warm up to them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

They be one nice flock very soon. sweet pics.

5. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2014
    Georgetown, TX
    They look quite happy. They have grown so fast!

6. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2014
    Georgetown, TX
    I took some pics yesterday and wanted to share
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My other 2 were being camera shy

7. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

I love that grey one, so pretty!

8. attimus

attimus Chillin' With My Peeps

X2

9. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    No ducklings in the mail today. [​IMG]

According to Metzer (yes, I called) they're scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I CAN'T TAKE ALL THIS WAITING OMG

10. Darnbunnies

Darnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

I know the feeling . . . You track the package of precious and then, "Eh? Umm what? WHAT? No, not today." So disappointing. But you will be happy tomorrow the they arrive. -DB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by