The Duck Thread

[COLOR=FF8C00]I wanted to make this thread so all duck lovers can get to one place and share everything they know.Feel free to post pics and questions.[/COLOR]

Thanks.I have 3 questions. First how the heck do I post a new thread? I use my Galaxy 4 phone instead of a laptop or computer and cannot find where to start a new one anywhere on these forums.
2nd question. We have 2 female mallards that laid a load if eggs and shared sitting on them. We had 4 ducklings within the past week or so hatch on different days (3 survived and we just found a 4th duckling that did not survive-actually looked like it got squashed). The mommas acted like they had no interest in the other eggs-still 15 left-& they had kicked most if them out of the nest. So this morning we picked up all of them, candled them and all but one which was bad went into the incubator. Do you think we still might have a chance they will hatch or should we have left them to fate? As best we could figure from day 1 they started sitting, today would be the 39th day. But since they were sitting on eggs from day 1 and still laying more every day, not sure how accurate this timing is-sort of confusing and might not be totally accurate. Plus this will be our first incubation of ducks eggs. We certainly wanted more than 3 ducklings. If these eggs do hatch should we put the babies back in with the mammas or just go through the brooder phase and raising ourselves? All responses are welcome please. I've decided no more natural stuff. All eggs go in the incubator from here on in. Thank you.

Last edited:
from my experience Miss Lydia the chickens either don't comprehend what they read lol, or just ignore it anyway or duckling gets mad and gives em an attitude adjustment lol

from my experience Miss Lydia the chickens either don't comprehend what they read lol, or just ignore it anyway or duckling gets mad and gives em an attitude adjustment lol

They don't ignore it for long here or there is a goose attached to them. The ducks have learned to read much quicker.
wink.png

I am feeling sorry for my Blue Swedish, mallard and other chicks especially the meat ones right now, I think I have a chick getting ready to start laying that is already planning on brooding, cause she's a terror to anyone other than the baby Rhode island reds that are only 7-10 days old, she doesn't want anyone to go near the coop, so we moved all the laying boxes around tonight and locked up the babies, see if that helps, but Ducky isn't usually scared of anything but now all of a sudden she's terrified of the head hen and afraid to go into the coop with the others.

I am feeling sorry for my Blue Swedish, mallard and other chicks especially the meat ones right now, I think I have a chick getting ready to start laying that is already planning on brooding, cause she's a terror to anyone other than the baby Rhode island reds that are only 7-10 days old, she doesn't want anyone to go near the coop, so we moved all the laying boxes around tonight and locked up the babies, see if that helps, but Ducky isn't usually scared of anything but now all of a sudden she's terrified of the head hen and afraid to go into the coop with the others.
My big Muscovy drake is afraid of one of my BA's it's so funny to see him back off when she gives the word. You may have to make some changes once you get a broody. They are not fun to be around if your a member of the flock and one goes after you.

I see that, but she's not actually laying unless she thinks she laid the golf ball toys, may have to make a door for the dog house for her or set something up by the pond at least for the ducklings Hate to see any of the flock terrorized like that and it's not something that's happened before.

edited for typos, anyone got a coffee IV?

Last edited:
Love it! Have you seen the attack duck/chicken sign?
There was a guy who put one of those "don't buy..." signs because there were so many people buying acerages next to farms, some of which had been there over 100 years, and then would go to the county and complain about this very thing.

Back
Top Bottom