The Duck Thread

@amiga I just got 4 ducklings. I know to leave access to water at all times but should I have a set time I give them their food or should I keep access to food because they are growing?

Please help! My khaki Campbell drake died two days ago (someone was watching our house and didn't put him away :( ) and my female pekin just laid her first egg. I reallllly want to hatch this egg because we loved that khaki Campbell and it would be cool to have his offspring. She doesn't seem broody... But if I let her have several eggs, will she sit on them? Would a farm store incubate an egg for us?

@Jera I always kept food and water with my ducklings... Just make sure that you keep them pretty dry. They can be really messy.

Please help! My khaki Campbell drake died two days ago (someone was watching our house and didn't put him away :( ) and my female pekin just laid her first egg. I reallllly want to hatch this egg because we loved that khaki Campbell and it would be cool to have his offspring. She doesn't seem broody... But if I let her have several eggs, will she sit on them? Would a farm store incubate an egg for us?

Sorry for your loss :hugs

It's unlikely for pekins to brood, but mine just got done so I won't say it's impossible. Most hatcheries have bred the broodiness right out of pekins, unfortunately. Farm stores probably won't incubate the eggs for you, but you could buy an inexpensive styrofoam incubator or make your own for pretty cheap, or see if you can borrow one for somebody. I just had a deal with a person that I would incubate eggs for them for a share of the hatched chicks, so you might be able to work out a deal like that with someone.

It's unlikely for pekins to brood, but mine just got done so I won't say it's impossible. Most hatcheries have bred the broodiness right out of pekins, unfortunately. Farm stores probably won't incubate the eggs for you, but you could buy an inexpensive styrofoam incubator or make your own for pretty cheap, or see if you can borrow one for somebody. I just had a deal with a person that I would incubate eggs for them for a share of the hatched chicks, so you might be able to work out a deal like that with someone.

Thank you! What's a reasonable price for a styrophome incubator? Like $50?

Thank you! What's a reasonable price for a styrophome incubator? Like $50?

Yep! Little Giants at tractor supply are $40, I think, and then another $40 for the autoturner if you don't want to hand turn. You can also order a starter hovabator kit for around $50: http://incubatorwarehouse.com/hova-bator-thermal-air-incubator.html

You have at least ten days before you need to start incubating the egg so you have some time to figure out what you'd like do and to collect a few more to incubate with it :)

Last edited:
Yep! Little Giants at tractor supply are $40, I think, and then another $40 for the autoturner if you don't want to hand turn. You can also order a starter hovabator kit for around $50: http://incubatorwarehouse.com/hova-bator-thermal-air-incubator.html

You have at least ten days before you need to start incubating the egg so you have some time to figure out what you'd like do and to collect a few more to incubate with it
smile.png

Eh, I don't trust the little giant, personally. Some people swear by it, but I never had any luck at all. It's killed every single egg I've ever put in one due to a temp spike at some point or another. BUT, since I have no broody, and I only ever hatch small clutches, I could justify to myself the cost of a pricey top-quality bator like Brinsea. So just take it as it is and hope for the best. I'm sure you can make it work with enough effort and supervision. :)

Actually, neither do I, lol. I have two, and I only use the newer one as a backup incubator if my Brinsea is full, and the other one I will use as a hatcher and nothing else, since it kills anything I try to incubate all the way through in it, but as a hatcher it does perfectly :idunno

Personally between the two I listed I'd definitely go with the hovabator.

Back
Top Bottom