The Duck Thread

they've had this in their water off and on and it has vitamins and minerals and electrolytes but no probiotics. i only add about 1/8th a teaspoon to a gallon water as that what was figured out to put enough niscin in the water till i got the plain niacin. should i add more of this or less? i gave them some gamebird crumble i feed my quail till i can get something tomorrow

they are 10 days old and the temp is 85F was 90 the first week as you see in the last pic on this duckling she now has peely feet
I think you should send these pictures to the metzers and holderreads customer service email. They've probably seen this and can give a definitive answer. In growing dogs, if they are fed too high protein or calcium, they can develop disproportionality in their skeletal systems. But as for the puffiness...I really am mot sure. What kind of shavings are you using? Are they cedar?

shavings are kiln dried pine only type of shaving i use

the crumbles were 20% protein and the meat bird is 22 so it'd just be more protein then they were already getting but i'll still get it.....none of my other poultry has any problem with these crumbles.

and i will email metzer's

KuroKitsune, that sounds and looks so strange... I can't think of what might be wrong. Perhaps genetics? Like you, I did everything "right" for my ducklings, but still all of the Welsh Harlequins got leg proglems. They're all fine now, but literally all of them went through about a week of limping, no matter what I tried. They all had plenty of niacin, vitamims, electrolytes, good(not great, but good enough) food. My ducks' parent stock are from a waterfowl distributor. Can't remember the exact name at this moment, but after I purchased my four WHs, I found out that MANY people who bought from this place had issues with genetics. I'm keeping my ducks for now, but I plan to strengthen the genetics when I have the money to buy more.

One of my Runners is setting! She's the 1st of 9 to show any maternal urges (they are 16 months old). She's also the smallest, although she is always 1st at the feeder and waterer. I am reading of mixed experiences: separate her from the others, separate her from the drakes (3), when to separate her, leave her be . . . this is day 1 so I'm preparing a separate area for her to raise the ducklings safely from the other ducks. I am seeing some aggression from the drakes towards her which I find rather disturbing, so I may separate her as soon as the new area is finished. From what I gather, Runners are not the most protective moms. Assuming she hatches some babies, how long will they need to be separated from the rest of the flock? If I give them mash instead of poultry pellets, won't Mom eat it all 1st? She's got 4 eggs that I can see. Should she have water and food close to her or will she go to the watering and feeding stations enough to meet her needs? I'm kind of excited but mostly anxious at this point. Advice appreciated. I'm reading Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks but still have questions. Thanks

This is all it will do
1f614.png

Back
Top Bottom