The Duck Thread

Hello everyone
frow.gif
I've been away for awhile. I was the one who kept writing about drakes and their mating madness, lol. We now have just one drake and it's still madness. After getting rid of all boys but him, we have a ratio of 1:6 and the girls all still have sore heads
sad.png

In the time I've been away I've had to deal with rat snakes, had to bury our KC girl (we think a snapping turtle got her), treated leg injuries via epsom salt soaks and confinements and throwing my back out emptying kiddie pools. Snakes will always be a battle where we live. We no longer plan to move the ducks to the stock tank and will be installing some super drains in the pools to solve the back problems. Leg injuries?? Gees, no matter how many ramps we put up, the ducks still prefer to climb in and out of the pools
idunno.gif

I hope everyone and your ducks are doing well and enjoying the summer time.

Peace.

We put bricks in the pools and outside for them to climb on but they still prefer to glide their bellies over the sides. Both ways.

Hello everyone:frow I've been away for awhile.  I was the one who kept writing about drakes and their mating madness, lol. We now have just one drake and it's still madness.  After getting rid of all boys but him, we have a ratio of 1:6 and the girls all still have sore heads:(  

In the time I've been away I've had to deal with rat snakes, had to bury our KC girl (we think a snapping turtle got her), treated leg injuries via epsom salt soaks and confinements and throwing my back out emptying kiddie pools.  Snakes will always be a battle where we live.  We no longer plan to move the ducks to the stock tank and will be installing some super drains in the pools to solve the back problems. Leg injuries??  Gees, no matter how many ramps we put up, the ducks still prefer to climb in and out of the pools:idunno

I hope everyone and your ducks are doing well and enjoying the summer time.

Peace.
. Welcome back! Sorry to hear bout ur probs that u have dealt with hopefully it'll ease up on ya. Taking care of these critters is sum hard work. It ain't for the lightweights! Lolz!

. Welcome back! Sorry to hear bout ur probs that u have dealt with hopefully it'll ease up on ya. Taking care of these critters is sum hard work. It ain't for the lightweights! Lolz!

Thank you. I've been up all night trying to learn about broody ducks. Two of our Pekins seem to be going broody but everything I've read seems it is not common for Pekins. Hard work and worrisome work at that, lol.

We put bricks in the pools and outside for them to climb on but they still prefer to glide their bellies over the sides. Both ways.

I have bricks also. I saw a post where someone lays towels over the edges so they can get in and out. It seems safer but I wouldn't want to have to deal with all of the dirty towels.

Thank you.  I've been up all night trying to learn about broody ducks.  Two of our Pekins seem to be going broody but everything I've read seems it is not common for Pekins.  Hard work and worrisome work at that, lol.

For Pekins to go broody is really not that common. But I do have one! Together with my one Rouen girl (another unlikely broody) they hatched out 6 beautiful Rouen ducklings, sharing the nest. Now those ducklings are 3 weeks old. And our broody Pekin is now nest sharing with a very unlikely broody chicken! Lol. Gonna see what comes of that...

Nothing big to worry about if they so go broody. Just keep water and food close by, and a pool to bathe once a day. Plus maybe some treats laid right in front of her so she don't have to leave the nest to get some treats. Don't worry as they know best what to do. And after a month you'll most likely have some cute fuzzies! ;)

We recently acquired two ducks. Any help in identifying breed and sex of the two ducks? They were raised by a family, so they are friendly. We were consistently finding eggs for a few days then no eggs. Today we found both ducks laying on a nest of eggs. I have no idea how many eggs are in the nest, but will try to look when they are not on the nest.

We recently acquired two ducks. Any help in identifying breed and sex of the two ducks? They were raised by a family, so they are friendly. We were consistently finding eggs for a few days then no eggs. Today we found both ducks laying on a nest of eggs. I have no idea how many eggs are in the nest, but will try to look when they are not on the nest.
Gorgeous ducks do they stand tall and slim? if so I'd say Fawn and White Runner ducks Welcome to BYC

Last edited:
For Pekins to go broody is really not that common. But I do have one! Together with my one Rouen girl (another unlikely broody) they hatched out 6 beautiful Rouen ducklings, sharing the nest. Now those ducklings are 3 weeks old. And our broody Pekin is now nest sharing with a very unlikely broody chicken! Lol. Gonna see what comes of that...

Nothing big to worry about if they so go broody. Just keep water and food close by, and a pool to bathe once a day. Plus maybe some treats laid right in front of her so she don't have to leave the nest to get some treats. Don't worry as they know best what to do. And after a month you'll most likely have some cute fuzzies!

I'm sure hoping for fuzzies:) Right now I'm just hoping for broody, lol. Only one of them stayed on the nest most of yesterday. Neither were on it this morning or when I came home from work this evening but I can tell someone had been there between my two checks
big_smile.png

As long as it's warm enough where you're at it will be alright if they stay off the nest every now and then. Even when broody they will leave the nest for 30-45 min to eat, clean, preen and swim.
And they will also wait til they have a certain amount of eggs (from 8 to sometimes 20+) together before sitting full time in the nest. The best indicator is usually when the nest starts to have lots of feathers in the bedding. Then they're getting really serious. And that's when you start counting to hatching! Good luck!

They look like my Fawn Indian Runner. For some reason it won't let me upload the photos.

Back
Top Bottom