The Duck Thread

Adorable!  Mine are 2-1/2 weeks now and they have more than doubled in size! 

You came to the right place... just start reading all over this forum.  Here's a good place to start   https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/256233/ducks-sticky-topics-index

And I highly recommend Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks.  Its a great book!  I ordered a copy from B&N for about $12, but I've also seen it on the shelf at Tractor Supply, but I think the list price is $19.95 (or thereabouts)

Thanks I will have to check it out

I also see about putting this "Niacin" in the feed.. I haven't been can some light be shed on this subject?? I got them. chick grower/ duck grower from Farmer's Co-op in Glen Burnie Md on 8th Ave and they didn't say anything about needing the "Niacin"

I also see about putting this "Niacin" in the feed.. I haven't been can some light be shed on this subject?? I got them. chick grower/ duck grower from Farmer's Co-op in Glen Burnie Md on 8th Ave and they didn't say anything about needing the "Niacin"
Ducks needs more niacin than chicks however a lot of people don't know that. If they don't get the needed niacin then it can lead to leg problems. Brewers yeast or nutritional yeast added to their food or plain niacin tablets added to water can take care of it.

So I have a little issue with my Campbell ducks accepting a new group of 7 week mallards and pekins. The little ones try to join the group of Campbell, but they chase off the babies and peck their heads! Is there anything I can do to help them all adjust?

So I have a little issue with my Campbell ducks accepting a new group of 7 week mallards and pekins. The little ones try to join the group of Campbell, but they chase off the babies and peck their heads! Is there anything I can do to help them all adjust?

Can you seperate them with fencing so they can see each other and interact safely till the little ones are bigger?

Wait till they are bigger and go slowly. Put up a temporary fence for a few days so they can see each other but can't touch. Then slowly do supervised time till they work it all out.

Last edited:

Ducks needs more niacin than chicks however a lot of people don't know that. If they don't get the needed niacin then it can lead to leg problems. Brewers yeast or nutritional yeast added to their food or plain niacin tablets added to water can take care of it.

I used Manna Pro Gamebird/Showbird for the first two weeks and don't see any leg problems. It contains a niacin supplement. So I'd say check your feed bag first.

What is the best breed of duck that wards off predators/predator resistant? Is there a certain breed that handle predators better?

No animal is predator resistant. Ducks can not defend themselves from predators. They depend on us to secure them to protect them from predators

Totally agree but Muscovys (hens at least) are better flyers and will roost and perch in high places, so there's a thought....
My Rouen drake tried to defend his girls from a fox recently, I saw it all and of course intervened...
aren't geese good "gaurd dogs"? They will run off humans anyway...

Brewers yeast should be a tbsp per cup or so (I never really measured) and niacin tablets 100mg per gallon of water.

Another option, though more costly than Brewers yeast, is nutritional yeast... Just thought I'd mention that. :)

Back
Top Bottom