The Duck Thread

This blog listed mallards having blue egg's.. I thought they had cream colored egg's.. What do I know though, just a newbie.. Although runners have pretty colored blue egg's.. The egg's they have are really pretty.. You can also try some of the hatchery's web site for egg colors..

Peep has blue eggs! (Mallard)

Imma feel weird eating blue eggs. Should I even eat duck eggs. I know this sounds dumb but if they are fertilized I feel like I would be killing a baby.... Even if it was just laid a day or two ago... And considering I have one male, how am I supposed to know if it's fertilized or not?

Imma feel weird eating blue eggs. Should I even eat duck eggs. I know this sounds dumb but if they are fertilized I feel like I would be killing a baby.... Even if it was just laid a day or two ago... And considering I have one male, how am I supposed to know if it's fertilized or not?

It won't turn into anything unless it's sat on or incubated. Otherwise, it's no different than any other egg.

Last edited:
I have had lots of people says "how can you eat duck eggs" to us. They are no different than eating a chicken egg or any other egg out there. Same procedure makes them. :) If you get chicken eggs from a farmer, chances are that they are fertilized eggs...lots of people are propagating their own chickens. You cannot tell that they have been fertilized. No little "dot" in them. Nothing. They taste richer than chicken eggs in my opinion (and they are obviously bigger for most breeds), they often have a larger yolk, but they are really similar. And they are actually far better for baking than chicken eggs are. No more eating a duckling than eating a chicken egg is eating a chick.

I have had lots of people says "how can you eat duck eggs" to us. They are no different than eating a chicken egg or any other egg out there. Same procedure makes them. :) If you get chicken eggs from a farmer, chances are that they are fertilized eggs...lots of people are propagating their own chickens. You cannot tell that they have been fertilized. No little "dot" in them. Nothing. They taste richer than chicken eggs in my opinion (and they are obviously bigger for most breeds), they often have a larger yolk, but they are really similar. And they are actually far better for baking than chicken eggs are. No more eating a duckling than eating a chicken egg is eating a chick.

Well thank you, I have 3 females and 1 male duck. They are young now but eventually the hens will be laying and I will have eggs on my hands. If I check every day and they are not "broody" which means sitting on eggs trying to make babies, yes? Then I have nothing to worry about. I might let one female hatch one set. But that's it. I don't have a lake, I have a pond lol. Plus, I don't want inbreeding and I also don't want to lose too many drakes because they were run off by a dominant drake. Right now 3 hens and 1 drake is perfect. They are 7 weeks old.

Well thank you, I have 3 females and 1 male duck. They are young now but eventually the hens will be laying and I will have eggs on my hands. If I check every day and they are not "broody" which means sitting on eggs trying to make babies, yes? Then I have nothing to worry about. I might let one female hatch one set. But that's it. I don't have a lake, I have a pond lol. Plus, I don't want inbreeding and I also don't want to lose too many drakes because they were run off by a dominant drake. Right now 3 hens and 1 drake is perfect. They are 7 weeks old.
Just collect eggs daily and you will be fine. When a duck goes broody, and that is up to the duck a lot never will, she will start collecting eggs and then when she feels she has enough she will sit on them. Some ducks are great at being broody while other suck at it and lose interest or just won't ever sit. Unless you want/need more ducks I wouldn't even thinking about hatching more out. Like you said you could end up with all males and where will that put you?

I thought I read/heard its just an egg until its sat on and incubation starts. We get Rouen eggs from a guy at hubby's work, very skeptical at first. We made scrambled eggs and they were slightly sweeter and a lot fluffier. I was told to be careful eating them the first time. A girl in our 4H club can eat chicken eggs but allergic to duck eggs.

Back
Top Bottom