The Duck Thread

Hello everyone.

Just a funny story. I have one drake and seven ladies. Most of them are various breeds. The drake ( a WH) was trying to have some fun with the WH female when all of a sudden he shoots out of the pool with my little fawn & white runner rushing after him very intent on his backside. The drake was booking like his life depended on it. I then saw that his little dingus was still hanging out. I am pretty sure the little runner thought it was a nice tasty worm and was determined on nabbing it and he was trying to save his dingus from being removed. I suggested he get back in the water or stick it back in. He'd did lose his dingus that time but he'd be careful and not have it hanging out when that little runner is in the vicinity!

That is my best friend and protector Duke. He is an Anatolian/Lab mix that was found as a puppy dumped in the country. He spent his first year living alone in a cage with little or no human interaction until our Vet discovered him and rescued him. We were at the Vet one day with another of our dogs and they brought him out just to show him to us and it was love at first sight. He trotted up to me, stood up on his hind legs and gave me a big paw on shoulders hug and kisses. We took him home with us that day and he and I have been inseparable since. Right now he his laying on the foot of my bed watching me type. He weighs about 120 pounds and is solid as a rock. I am about 6 feet tall and on his hind feed he is about a foot or so taller than me.

Wow!That's one big doggy! In comparison, we have 7 dogs whose total weight altogether is 32 pounds. Let's see, that would be maybe the weight of your dog's head?!? Lol

One pure bred pekin and the rest are a mix of blue swedish, Ancona, and khaki Kampbell!

So cute!!
love.gif

I have an open run area enclosed with my duck coop. Naturally, there hasn't been anything green growing in there for quite some time. This results in a LOT of mud, of course. So I'm considering adding pea gravel or something. Do any of you have a similar set up? If so, do you use any ground cover?

I have an open run area enclosed with my duck coop. Naturally, there hasn't been anything green growing in there for quite some time. This results in a LOT of mud, of course. So I'm considering adding pea gravel or something. Do any of you have a similar set up? If so, do you use any ground cover?
I may have mentioned this to you before - I have a 2% slope to the pen, and under the swim pans is smooth pea gravel and sand, and the rest is a lovely compost of duck manure and chopped straw, with the addition of some garden trimmings from time to time.

I have an open run area enclosed with my duck coop.  Naturally, there hasn't been anything green growing in there for quite some time.  This results in a LOT of mud, of course.  So I'm considering adding pea gravel or something.  Do any of you have a similar set up?  If so, do you use any ground cover?
We had a similar set up. Thought the pea gravel was a sweet idea! Dragged bags into the pen, spread it all. Looked lovely. Flash forward 8 months. Now, we have a poop, mud, straw, feed mix on top of said pea gravel...which by the way makes it impossible to 1. Hoe in or 2. Rake off ...resigned to those little flat feet making a mess. (And FYI they are only in there at night...) at least if it was just dirt, I could remove it with a shovel/rake or churn it into the soil underneath. The pea gravel was a mistake.

On here, others were like "I just use the hose to rinse the poo through the gravel." Well, by morning, their little flat feet turn each poop pile into a tiny piece of cement. It's a good thing they are cute.
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom