The Duck Thread

I got these from a breeder right here on BYC whose ducks all came direct from holderread
smile.png
I got eight WH from holderread this year but for some reason they all died except for my two surviving ones, which I both suspect are drakes. I think perhaps the long shipping distance had something to do with it.

Oh no! What did they say about it? Did they offer to replace them? Mine all made it here unhappy but healthy, but I'm not quite as far from them as you are. You're almost as far away from their farm as you could be inside the continental US.

So sorry!

No, I have never heard of peafowl.  I thought they were their own breed of bird separate from peacocks.  Thanks for informing me.  Yours are so cute.  I love the big eyes.  I am familiar with peacocks and thought nothing beyond them let alone separating their names into pea(cock), male and pea(hen), female.  Fun learning new things on here.

Thanks! That's an opal one, not a regular India Blue. Come to think of it I think most people don't realize they're called peafowl, they just think the whole species is called peacock :) I always crack up when I see breeders list them as 'peacock' hatching eggs. I'm like, alright, are you saying they'll all hatch into males or that your peacocks are laying eggs? Because if your peacocks are laying eggs, I could use some male birds that lay, lol.

:lau
If only our drake's and cockerel would leave us a surprise,.. egg's..
I bet some MAD scientist has tried to play like God and tried to do it.. They are already having animals grow human parts for transplant..

Last edited:
Where can you get peafowl? Or at least how did you get ahold of yours? I've been interested in getting those and turkeys. :) right now it's just ducks, chickens, and two pheasants

I actually bought eggs and had them shipped to me and hatched them myself. I bought two eggs and I hatched them both, but unfortunately peachicks are really delicate and I lost one to unknown causes.

Very nice, how many egg's? Love that breed..
:weee

13 :)

Oh no! What did they say about it? Did they offer to replace them? Mine all made it here unhappy but healthy, but I'm not quite as far from them as you are. You're almost as far away from their farm as you could be inside the continental US.

So sorry!

I didn't say anything to them about it, because when they arrived they were all fine, but then one passed away later that day. They sent an extra, so I didn't send them an email or anything. Then after that they just started dying off at about one or two a week until I was down to these two, who seem to be doing well. I think the others just never fully recovered from the shipping and weren't thriving. I never asked for a refund or anything because they did all arrive alive, and they survived for a couple weeks before dying.

Last edited:
I actually bought eggs and had them shipped to me and hatched them myself. I bought two eggs and I hatched them both, but unfortunately peachicks are really delicate and I lost one to unknown causes.
13 :)
I didn't say anything to them about it, because when they arrived they were all fine, but then one passed away later that day. They sent an extra, so I didn't send them an email or anything. Then after that they just started dying off at about one or two a week until I was down to these two, who seem to be doing well. I think the others just never fully recovered from the shipping and weren't thriving. I never asked for a refund or anything because they did all arrive alive, and they survived for a couple weeks before dying.
Oh alright just online or what?

Aww thanks you are all so sweet. I dabble in photography :) I dabble in a lot of things haha!

I have taken a break from my actual photography for a bit because summer is so busy with the gardens and the ducklings...and my sneaky girl cat busted through a screen door (in our house..it was keeping our male and female apart until we could get one fixed lol) while we were out of town and got pregnant. Resulting in 5 little balls of cuteness. Our male is a fancy pedigreed snooty breed so we did not want him breeding our normal female cat. BUt they have minds of their own. Haha anyway, I appreciate the comments. I've been missing my "work" so I am glad I can share it to some extent with you all.

Here is a sample of some of my real work :) If you would like to see more feel free to look me up on Flickr under the name Little Salty Dog ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom