The Duck Thread

Skye is a Welsh Harlequin (it's possible that I misspelled that).

Edit to add: I think she's probably one of the most gorgeous ducks around!
wink.png

Last edited:
Great Idea with this thread! We raise Ancona ducks, Indian Runner ducks and Silkie ducks. This year a family of bobcats tore into the silkie duck pen and took all 3 of our drakes and 3 hens leaving us with no drakes so we won't have silkies available this year, however we are getting ducklings from Holderread to replace our lost silkies so either the Fall or next year on them.

That adorable darlings! Love the Runners! Is that their usual color? Actually I like all of them.

Hello everyone.

I have a question and/or need some advice.

I have 2 older females, 5 younger females and one drake. The Drake on the Make.

My two older females have been laying eggs for months. The little KC is religious about laying every single day. The younger ones are making a slow start. The are various breeds. I'm pretty sure the WH is laying but am not sure who else. One or two of them are laying every couple days but the eggs have very little shell. The membranes hold together and upon inspection all the insides look okay. Not being sure I didn't use them for anything. The ducks have access to all the oyster shell they want and are using laying feed. It is rather hot here some of the time and they have just started.

Does anyone have ideas of why this is happening, will it continue and is there anything else I can do?

Hello everyone. I have a question and/or need some advice. I have 2 older females, 5 younger females and one drake. The Drake on the Make. My two older females have been laying eggs for months. The little KC is religious about laying every single day. The younger ones are making a slow start. The are various breeds. I'm pretty sure the WH is laying but am not sure who else. One or two of them are laying every couple days but the eggs have very little shell. The membranes hold together and upon inspection all the insides look okay. Not being sure I didn't use them for anything. The ducks have access to all the oyster shell they want and are using laying feed. It is rather hot here some of the time and they have just started. Does anyone have ideas of why this is happening, will it continue and is there anything else I can do?
Very pretty birds. Some need more calcium than what they think they need. @amiga

Hello everyone.

I have a question and/or need some advice.

I have 2 older females, 5 younger females and one drake. The Drake on the Make.

My two older females have been laying eggs for months. The little KC is religious about laying every single day. The younger ones are making a slow start. The are various breeds. I'm pretty sure the WH is laying but am not sure who else. One or two of them are laying every couple days but the eggs have very little shell. The membranes hold together and upon inspection all the insides look okay. Not being sure I didn't use them for anything. The ducks have access to all the oyster shell they want and are using laying feed. It is rather hot here some of the time and they have just started.

Does anyone have ideas of why this is happening, will it continue and is there anything else I can do?
Is this happening only with your ducks that are beginning to lay? if so normal and should work itself out. Can also happen when very hot when finishing up a laying period or just starting back so should work itself out. you can get some Calcium Gluconate at TSC and add some to some mashed peas for extra cal. if you want to try something besides ouster shell.

Back
Top Bottom