The Duck Thread

I'm really sorry but we don't sell eggs. The reason for that is that any given egg could potentially contain the best duck we're going to get in that season. We also don't sell ducklings because you can't grade them at that stage, mostly. We have some very nice young ducks right now, 3-5 months old, but not babies.

Ah, ok.
sad.png
But that sounds like a very smart way for you to get great ducks!
smile.png

Ah, ok.
sad.png
But that sounds like a very smart way for you to get great ducks!
smile.png

It's the way you have to do it, so you don't always get to keep what you might want to keep if you're intentionally breeding. One of my favorites of the drakes from this year is a big boy, and I really mean big as far as Calls go. He weighs 1 3/4 pounds. He's a little (but big) gentleman who goes around to the females bobbing his head to introduce himself, and he's already chosen one particular duck he follows around a lot. He's a beautiful boy as far as ducks go, but he's too big to use as a breeder.

My favorite female of the year also didn't make the cut because she's a little heavy and her bill is a bit too long. I love her. She's friendly and she loves to fly and fly and fly. I love watching her fly around the yard, but we can't keep them all.

So i live in Illinois so it's hot right now but will be cooling off this month. Well my Pekin and my black duck unknow type have been mating a lot. Well I was wondering can they have babies? How long after mating will they lay eggs? And will they even lay this time of year? They are young we got them as babies during Easter.

I have never heard of a micro pig. What is their full growth size and weight? Sounds cute.

A micro pig is the same as a pot belly pig. They were developed in Europe to use for lab experimentation and can get to weigh up to 300lbs although they average from 90 to 175lbs.

Many people don't realize that although they pretty small compared to the average size farm pig, they are much bigger than media and some breeders will lead you to believe.

No one can guarantee that this type of piggy will stay smal or grow up to a certain size either because rather than an actual recognized breed they are a tailored variation of the common farm pig.

Some breeders will even show off the parents claiming they will stay small like them, but since pigs can reproduce before they are full grown this can also be misleading. What's worse, in the case that they are of spring of too young parents they might have a very short life span.

I work with the local chapter of SPCA animal rescue, we often see abandoned or owner surrender piggies because they get "too big"

The best way to know how big your piggy will get is adopting a full grown one that you believe is the right size for you from a shelter or rescue.

If you want to get a baby piggy you have to be sure you'll be able to keep him even if they get big.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom