The Duck Thread

Ceasargirl all hatched except two one had died in the shell, he was fully developed and the other one never did anything. The last one helped him out of the shell, he has a pompom on his head, the mama duck has one. Three of them have pompoms. Here they r

Ceasargirl all hatched except two one had died in the shell, he was fully developed and the other one never did anything. The last one helped him out of the shell, he has a pompom on his head, the mama duck has one. Three of them have pompoms. Here they r

There isn't much cuter than a fluffy little ling, except a whole bunch of them webby slapping across a floor!!! Well done! You had a great hatch. Even momma ducks don't always have a 100% hatch rate!!! Cute little fluffernutters!!
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png

Last edited:

Loves going for drives
OMG, too precious! What a wonderful life
smile.png

Gorgeous!

It looks like they're saying I'm not going first, you go, lol.

Thanks I just checked on them they r all cuddled up
CONGRATS on the hatch and improved photography
smile.png

Lady Greys very first baby!!!

@Julie Bird
Congratulations

Not to veer off topic, but just curious. To those with mallards, do you notice them get kind of "flighty" at a certain time of the year? It is winter here in Ohio now, and I've been leery of letting my ducks out of their pen for a few weeks now. My two mallard girls keep wandering away from the flock and, despite clipped wings, managed to fly/fall in short bursts for a few feet. My mallard crosses (mallard/pekin and mallard/runner) are also very flappy and wandering. The last two times I've let them out to forage, they suddenly run and take off, and are resistant to come back, even for treats.

My other ducks (Cayuga, WH, pekin, buff and runners) have no problem coming back and don't wander much at all. My male mallard also doesn't wander, but he is so dedicated and attached to my crippled pekin, so he doesn't move much either, lol. Just wondering, really.

And now here are some pictures because who doesn't like duck pictures?? Note: the pics are a couple months old because it is dark when I go to work and dark when I get home now, so I can't get new pics
sad.png

The "good ones"

The "rebels"

Group picture
Great pictures!

Quote:
@Julie Bird

Day old Call baby with Io at 6 days old...
smile.png
Sooo cute!

Congratulations on all of them. You did great!

and me too. Word is going to get out how good it is at Pyxis' place

Lovin' all the ducky pics.
love.gif
12 more days for my hatch and I'm going crazy!!!

Ducks on Frozen Pond.... Has a nice ring to it.
How are they doing? I hear ya on the going crazy, gees, we have to wait this long and then I've read where someone had a duck take 3 days to hatch. I don't know if I could last that long, lol

Day 14 report...

WH: 7 active, average weight loss 7.4 gm
BY: 3 active, average weight loss 6.7 gm, 1 possible quitter

I've never weighed eggs before. Does the weight loss sound like it's on track?? I'm checking air cell size as well and they seem to be looking good.

Day 14 report...

WH: 7 active, average weight loss 7.4 gm
BY: 3 active, average weight loss 6.7 gm, 1 possible quitter

I've never weighed eggs before.  Does the weight loss sound like it's on track?? I'm checking air cell size as well and they seem to be looking good.

What was their starting weight?

Ok pros, I need some advice. I have two groups of ducks. Some at almost 4 weeks and some at almost two weeks. They are all ladies
263a.png
But there's a definite difference in size now, and any time the two groups are even remotely close to each other, buttercup and poopsi run full speed to the babies and FULLY attack them. They have been side by side in a brooder with separate sections for the last week and a half. Yesterday the older group moved to their big girl home outside. In two weeks the babies will be joining the older group...... I have no idea how to introduce them! Please help.

Here's a pic btw of the lovely enclosure my handy hubby built.
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png

Last edited:
Ok pros, I need some advice. I have two groups of ducks. Some at almost 4 weeks and some at almost two weeks. They are all ladies
263a.png
But there's a definite difference in size now, and any time the two groups are even remotely close to each other, buttercup and poopsi run full speed to the babies and FULLY attack them. They have been side by side in a brooder with separate sections for the last week and a half. Yesterday the older group moved to their big girl home outside. In two weeks the babies will be joining the older group...... I have no idea how to introduce them! Please help.

Here's a pic btw of the lovely enclosure my handy hubby built.
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png

@MrsPlopPlop That is a nice place for your ducks although That plastic netting will not keep out predators. and how are you going to keep out diggers? I was born and raised in Florida snakes and all sorts of other preds will be inside that enclosure unless you have the bottom secured also I can't see that in the pic, 1/2" Hardware cloth is the only thing that keeps out preds. you could cover from ground up about 3' all way around and that would help but your still going to have raccoons who will climb and possibly rip open that plastic netting with no problem.and you will still need to address the diggers. I don't see any kind of ventilation in their house either, they will need fresh air and also a way for moisture to escape out. you do plan on locking them up at night? I am sorry if it seems I am tearing apart a labor of love which I can see so plainly but I just know from reading so many heartbreaking stores and being on here for 6 yrs now that your setting yourself up for heartbreak if you don't fix these things
as for getting them all use to each other, your youngest need to be the same size as your older ones before being place into an enclosure together. or someone is going to be pecked on and possibly injured. Side by side living is the only thing you can do till the youngest catch up in size.

Last edited:
Aww Thanks! We love her, but we plan like she could go any minute. Who knows what damage she suffered at the park. She was in really rough shape when we got her. She's having some trouble right now though, she's not eating. She may be nibbling when I'm not looking, but she doesn't appear to be eating the last few days. I'm hoping she's just stressed out from the move (we bought a house!) But if it's still a problem this weekend she'll go in to the vet.
Hahaha ducky safety helmets! I love it! What a hoot
I really really hope it's just because she's acclimating to her new house. Please keep us updated on how it goes this weekend if you end up taking her in. I'm am going to vote for her to start eating asap.

Back
Top Bottom