The Duck Thread

I see.. do you think it would be possible to make the ducks a separate living area but still let them share a large run? (I would only like to get three ducks) Thanks!
Absolutely. For a living area they really only need a safe secure place to sleep. The rest of the time they can mingle. Unless you want ducklings (fertalized eggs) avoid getting a drake (male) and you should do fine.

Well it's me again. This time it's WH #2. He hatched on the 18th. Was doing fine but then yesterday I noticed it seemed a little off. Not coming out from the mommy heating pad when the others did. When it did come out it just stood there. Drinking but not eating. I have it separated now and it is not eating; it just stands there and cries. At first it was almost a congested sounding cry but now it's just a weak wispy cheep. I'm giving tetracycline and poly vi sol. I couldn't find the poultry drench at two feeds store. I've offered it some cooked egg yolk and it is not interested. Any thoughts or suggestions?
How is the lil one now Ren, I know it's risky but can you put one of the others in with it for comfort?

Absolutely. For a living area they really only need a safe secure place to sleep. The rest of the time they can mingle. Unless you want ducklings (fertalized eggs) avoid getting a drake (male) and you should do fine.
I only have hens, it is a little noisy but so wonderful NOT having the problems I have heard of with drakes. I don't take kindly to animals killing each other even if it is to mate!! I am a soft heart! LOL

How noisy actually are ducks? enough to disturb neighbours?
They can be very noisy. There are some breeds that are quieter than others but they all make a significant amount of noise at times. For instance, they can be very quiet but once they associate you with food then everytime they see you they will go crazy with quacking. Females typically are noisier than males. Oh, and yes it is enough to disturb neighbors.

Last edited:
They can be very noisy. There are some breeds that are quieter than others but they all make a significant amount of noise at times. For instance, they can be very quiet but once they associate you with food then everytime they see you they will go crazy with quacking. Females typically are noisier than males. Oh, and yes it is enough to disturb neighbors.

I see, what are the quieter breeds do you know? Thanks :)

I see, what are the quieter breeds do you know? Thanks
smile.png
Hard to answer honestly because my experience is that all duck breed can be noisy. Cayugas have the reputation of being the quietest breed but I have 16 and they are anything but. I would suggest you do your research on breeds based on what you want in a duck and then go from there. Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom