The Duck Thread

Oh okay she is beautiful! Do you have any tips on helping the mother brood the eggs?

Thank you. Sorry, I have no idea. I was just lucky with Bugs.
So sorry
hugs.gif
. I was just talking about young duckling sleeping poses that look bad, not real harm.
Thank you. I understood what you were saying. I just thought the timing was weird. I wished mine had just been sleeping.

Has anyone else ever had indian runner cross Saxony ducks? I seem to have created some and I am wondering what they will look like. The mother is a fawn runner and the father a Saxony
BEAUTIFUL!

B

Bubbles and squeak my new muscovy ducklings :)
Congrats! They are precious.

I never posted the finished coop...problem is once it was finished we decided it was too small since our number had increased. So now it will be my workshop. I am bummed we can't use it for the ducks, it is so pretty. Now we have to build another one but it won't be this pretty...this one cost a bit much as it was.
WOW, this is awesome!

Hi, I am about a month into being a new duck mommy to 2 Pekins, 2 khaki campbell, and 2 anconas. I have done lots of research on caring for them but just want to see if anyone can give me any other good tips on taking care of them. We have 14 chickens as well. We have had the ducks in their own pen for the last couple of weeks and the chickens are pretty used to them being there. Our chickens free range so we want our ducks to roam with them. The other day we let the ducks out to walk around with the chickens and one of my hens that has been a bit on the broody side got into a little fight with one of the ducks. I pulled off my hen and everything was fine but the next day the same two fought again. It's not really brutal or anything but it concerns me to have them roaming around together and fighting when I'm not outside. Is there anything I can do to ease this or do I just have to let them handle it just like the chickens do with each other?

We got a call last night from a friend that has two ducks wondering if we want them. They are about the same age as our ducks. Can i put them in the pen with our's? All of my "new kid on the flock" areas are taken right now so I was going to put them together and watch them to see if they are ok together.

Also, the ducks went right for the jasmine when they were roaming. Is this toxic for ducks? My chickens don't eat it. It's the white flower jasmine you get at any home depot. I believe it was called confederate jasmine. And are there any other plants I need to watch out for? Our yard is chicken safe but I don't know if that applies to ducks too.

Thank you so much for any help you can give me!
Congrats on being a new mommy. I see that others have answered your questions so I'm just saying
frow.gif

Ok so I've got a question. I bought three ducks in February and was told two of them were khaki Campbell's and the other was a white pekin which is but my "kcs" look more like chocolate runners. They stand straight up when they walk around and their feathers coming in are very very dark. Any suggestions?
Can you post a picture?

wee.gif

Oh! Oh! It's so funny! I have 5 new ducklings, one day shy of 3 weeks. One Pekin, 2 Cayuga, and 2 Blue Swedish, all hens, this morning the Pekin was trying her voice! It was a very dainty "quack". Couldn't believe it! I have never seen anything so cute as her trying her voice out! LOL

Very excited to say I might be rescuing seven female ducks, hopefully. They are quite far from where I live but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. How would I go about introducing them to my two boys, if all goes to plan?

Advice needed!

We are on day 26 of incubation. We candled the eggs by light last week and could see active movement in all of the remaining eggs. 2 days ago, we even saw 2 rocking back and forth slightly in the incubator. But nothing since then. There have been no pips that we can see. Some of the eggs now have clear markings either where the air sac is or along the side. They kind of look like beak marks. This is our first time hatching duck eggs. Any advice/help is appreciated.

I'm a little bit worried now...we checked our tracking for the babies. They shipped yesterday and now it is saying they won't be here until thursday. That doesn't seem right.

Back
Top Bottom