Welshies: Friendly
Good layers
(very pretty ducks)

Runners: Friendly
Ok layers
(Comes in variety of colors)

Buff Orpington: Friendly
Good layers

Funny, I know that is typical but our Buff is skittish and our KC is Friendly... They didn't read their descriptions.
lau.gif
Personally I think Pekins get rated too low. When you consider that one Pekin egg is the equivalent of 1-1/2 duck eggs or 2 chicken eggs, then when they miss a couple they should get a pass. Omelets for a family of 4: 12 chicken eggs, 9 duck eggs or 6 Pekin eggs. So although I have seen from many reputable sources Pekin listed as an OK layer, I would bump them up to good for this reason. After all I think it is more probable that a Pekin will lay 6 eggs in a week than most ducks laying 9. Again your information is accurate, but I think it is usually based on eggs / year and if you are eating the eggs, the size of them matters
droolin.gif

It is a challenge. What about taking the littles aside for treats that have no or low calcium, so their daily intake is correct for them?
Suggestions? All of them get green peas as a treat. About a cup for the 7 of them (this is how I convince them to eat out of my hand!). I can keep them on half and half as long as needed.

Thanks for all the information, I am still new to this. I have had ducks for a year but these are my first ducklings.

Suggestions? All of them get green peas as a treat. About a cup for the 7 of them (this is how I convince them to eat out of my hand!). I can keep them on half and half as long as needed.

Thanks for all the information, I am still new to this. I have had ducks for a year but these are my first ducklings.
I have heard of giving them oats for things like that, but I've never tried it. Might work, though.

@MandyJ

To flip my suggestion around - maybe you give the adults some treats laced with extra calcium, and switch to a grower/maintenance feed until everyone is laying age.....
What if I just offer oyster shells on the side for the adults, you think that would do it? That way I could keep everyone on the same feed. High protein won't hurt the adults? Will the oyster shells hurt the littles? They would have access to it as well.

Oy!!!! What a pain having two different ages. The littles are really growing, they are pretty much as big as the adults. I guess their insides are still babies! LOL

This is my first time owning ducks. I have a Buff duck (Candy) and at 2 months old, I'm still not sure of it's gender. I have a Rouen (Stuffin) that was easy to tell because she showed all the signs I've read about for females. I think Candy is a gal, cause she's got the brownish orange bill and her head's not a lot darker than the rest of her. No curly drake feather in her tail either. But I keep reading that drakes have a softer voice than ducks, and Candy is rather quiet even at her loudest. More of a peep still, where Stuffin really lets you know she's there! Help!

Back
Top Bottom