The Duck Thread

Thanks. It's a drake so I think I will rehome/eat him.

They are good eating! Ignore all the sad faces. If you must get rid of him, I say eating is the best! Rewards everyone since not much money comes from selling drakes... they are hard to sell too.
*Please, don't call me a monster. I have learned to keep the non-duckers happy, they must get a taste. That is my price for keeping my ducks, and I've learned the hard way that butchering is actually useful and helpful for your birds. You just have to avoid getting too close to the ones marked for butcher...

What do you think is the best way to eat a duck? Never done it before. He is still young and I have several excess young drakes. Farm store board is already covered in free drake ads so rehoming doesn't seem feasible.

Last edited:
I agree, don't let anyone make you feel guilty. I personally don't eat mine but I will respect anyone's choice to do so. They are after all livestock, and were developed to provide food. Plus it can be very hard to find a home for a drake - no one wants them, just as with roosters. They want the females for eggs and that's it. And for most people it's not feasible to keep and feed a separate pen of a bunch of drakes that give nothing back.

Last edited:
What do you think is the best way to eat a duck? Never done it before. He is still young and I have several excess young drakes. Farm store board is already covered in free drake ads so rehoming doesn't seem feasible.
I was just having fun with the
1f622.png
face. I have never had duck but I hear they are good and all dark meat. Maybe fix it up like chicken? I'm all for home grown meat. Cow,pig,chicken, and even duck.
1f60e.png

Last edited:

You can roast the mature ones, you can also put them whole on a pan and just bake them in the oven until they look done. They're all dark meat, like chicken, you can also carve them and fry the meat. Don't have specific directions sorry :p
I usually don't cook the ducks; the others like to. It's hard for me. I really suggest skinning them, though, it makes it 10 times healthier and tastier. Plucking is difficult and time consuming.

My runners are 12 weeks old. I noticed yesterday that Romeo has a shadow.Every where he goes a smaller male follows him. In fact it chases him and jumps on him. Or tryes. Romeo is bigger. The small male is just running Romeo like crazy today and its over heating Romeo. So I got the small trouble maker and put him in the coop with food and water. My question is. Is this the right thing to do or should I let them have at it and see what happens?

Last edited:
You can roast the mature ones, you can also put them whole on a pan and just bake them in the oven until they look done. They're all dark meat, like chicken, you can also carve them and fry the meat. Don't have specific directions sorry
tongue.png

I usually don't cook the ducks; the others like to. It's hard for me. I really suggest skinning them, though, it makes it 10 times healthier and tastier. Plucking is difficult and time consuming.

Thanks! I will do some research.

Please help me I need to know how old these eggs are and if they are okay? They look like they are around 25 days and very veiny but there is this liquid near the air sack and I don't get any movement but one wiggling in water
[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom