The Duck Thread

My broody girl took a break down to the pond this afternoon so I got to see just what she has been working on!!!!

These are our first ducks and so any advice on her hatching them would be greatly appreciated!!! we are really just planning to let her do her thing unless anyone has ideas how to help her...

I worried with my mallard but she done it all on her on great job. But it's true what they say about taking male out before eggs hatch. My drake killed 4 babies (drowned) before I relized what was going on.
our babies all grown up.they are about 6 months old now. GOOD LUCK

Yesterday we took some videos of our ducks flying, Fin (the blue drake), Nyasa (mallard drake), and Ella, (the buff hen).
Beautiful Ducks!!!

I worried with my mallard but she done it all on her on great job. But it's true what they say about taking male out before eggs hatch. My drake killed 4 babies (drowned) before I relized what was going on. our babies all grown up.they are about 6 months old now. GOOD LUCK
I'm hoping they will be great moms! I have a Pekin and Mallard drake and I hate the idea of having to separate them from their girls they are all so close!! For a while my Pekin was sitting on the nests more than the girls were!! The next couple weeks I need to get an "addition" build on to the pen I guess... Any suggestions?! My issue is my Mallard drake (who might be the most aggressive) is my best flyer so I will have to partition almost all the way to the top of the pen I think
hmm.png

HELP
[/IMG]! DUCK HAS A FOOT ISSUE! I am brand new to BYC. I couldn't figure out how to start my own thread, I hope you don't mind me posting here. I have read other post and I'm uncertain but believe she may have bumble foot? I am soaking her foot in Epson Salt and applying triple antibiotic neosporin. I do feel a lump on the side of her toe. Not sure if it's a broken toe or bumble. Any help would be appreciated.

HELP
[/IMG]! DUCK HAS A FOOT ISSUE! I am brand new to BYC. I couldn't figure out how to start my own thread, I hope you don't mind me posting here. I have read other post and I'm uncertain but believe she may have bumble foot? I am soaking her foot in Epson Salt and applying triple antibiotic neosporin. I do feel a lump on the side of her toe. Not sure if it's a broken toe or bumble. Any help would be appreciated.
look for big a scab on the bottom of the foot that would be the source of infection. Hard to see an old wound in the picture tho, any incidence that would have broken a toe? Does your duck fly? Mine take some pretty hard hits on landings and seem to weather it fine. If it is bumblefoot your on the right track.

This is day 3. She sits for at least 10 minutes with her foot in the soak. Today is day 2 of keeping her inside, in the dog crate. I put her back inside the duck house at bedtime. She can walk but she favors that foot and is slower than her duck friends. I see them looking for her and I find her sitting alone as if she needs a break.

I do not see a black dot or a scab. We spend hours outside watching the ducks and chickens. I'm pretty certain we caught it on the first sign of a limp. Yes, she could have injured her toe on something. My husband has been pushing dirt with his tractor and that is digging up lots of stuff. Also adding a roof to a new coop that is next to the duck house. I try to go behind him and spot danger, but the big kids are the hardest to keep on top of!

Back
Top Bottom