The Duck Thread

Hello all you wonderful duck loving people!!

I'd like to get 2-3 adult hens/ducks, but I'm not sure what breed to get or where to get them.

Does anyone know of a hatchery or breeder in the Middle Tennessee area?

Edited to add:

I want ducks for pets/egg layers

If you don't find anything local, I would recommend Metzer Farms.  I have purchased 18 ducks from them and have been very happy with all of them.  They will sex day old ducklings so you can get just hens.  They have a wide variety of breeds and although they are not "show quality" they are good strong healthy ducks who represent their breed well if not perfectly.  Even if you decide not to go through Metzer, they have a wealth of information available on the various breeds they carry and on ducks in general.  If you are looking for pets/layers and not planning to breed, I would suggest a mix since there are several who lay eggs fairly well and with ducks that look much different, it is easy to see them as individuals, learn their personalities and fully enjoy them as pets.  With my two Rouen girls (they are true sisters from the same hatch and the only ducks I didn't get from Metzer), I can tell them apart, but if one does something quickly or at a distance, I can't be sure which one it was.  With all my other ducks, I know who is who 100% of the time so I "know" them.

Here is a link to their breed comparison chart which is a handy reference:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm

Thank you! I will be sure to check out their website. :thumbsup

Hmm. I don't think that would be a problem. And if it does get to be a problem, I guess we could always clip her wings, but I don't want to do that unless things get really bad. I know it doesn't hurt the duck if done right, but I just don't want to do it wrong...
Okay, so right now, it's either a flock of three WHs, or a flock of one WH, one Buff, and one KC.
I've gotten conflicting reports on Khaki Campbells as far as their temperament goes.
hu.gif

Thanks for the advice!
My 1 KC is super mellow and totally sweet and she is very curious and engaging.

What is the ideal humidity to hatch Pekin eggs?

Thanks

Hello, and
welcome-byc.gif
!

I have never hatched or incubated eggs myself, much less Pekin duck eggs.. I am hoping someone on here with more experience hatching Pekin eggs can help you. But, I found something on Metzer's website: http://www.metzerfarms.com/IncubatingAndHatching.cfm
I'm not sure how accurate this info is, but I figured that every little bit helps. Good luck!
smile.png

Hello:

I live in the suburbs near Phoenix, Arizona. I have been raising American Seramas for many years. I want to add some ducks to my flock.

Can ducks be kept with small bantam chickens? Also, any suggestions on bantam duck breeds that would do well in Arizona?

I have been researching Ancona ducks, but I am concerned with the noise level. I don't want to tick off the neighbors. We live in a residential neighborhood. Do you think a small flock of 5 to 6 Anconas would cause a neighborhood riot?

Thanks,
Jack

Hello:

I live in the suburbs near Phoenix, Arizona. I have been raising American Seramas for many years. I want to add some ducks to my flock.

Can ducks be kept with small bantam chickens? Also, any suggestions on bantam duck breeds that would do well in Arizona?

I have been researching Ancona ducks, but I am concerned with the noise level. I don't want to tick off the neighbors. We live in a residential neighborhood. Do you think a small flock of 5 to 6 Anconas would cause a neighborhood riot?

Thanks,
Jack

Okay, let's see...
I'm not sure if having ducks and chickens in the same pen would be a good idea, but I've never done it myself. Hopefully some more experienced people on here can answer that. Ducks are messier than chickens, some ducks and chickens do not get along - and do you have or are planning to get any male ducks/chickens? InbreedI do know that Call ducks are very small. They can fly, so that might be an issue for you, but you or a vet can clip their wings if it gets to be too much of a problem. Here are two threads about them:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/292411/da-cute-and-cuddly-call-duck-thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/678536/call-duck-thread-for-posting-pics-and-discussing

Okay, I've never owned Ancona ducks personally, and never had as many as five or six. But here's what I have observed, through my experiences and others:
Ducks aren't loud all the time. Male ducks are considerably quieter, and make a raspy sound. Females, however, do quack. Very loudly, at times. Especially if they're separated from their buddies, or want to be let out of their pen, normally in the morning. Ducks make other, quieter noises than QUACK quackquackquackquack QUACK quackquackquack. I promise lol. Our neighbors have never really complained about it. If you're outside or have a window open while the ducks are quacking loudly, then you'll hear it. But not so much inside.

Ducks are really fun and personable! Have fun!

Hello:

Thanks,
Jack
There are people that mix their flocks with no problems and those that swear you should not. I have chickens, ducks and geese and keep them all apart from one another. Drakes can try to mate with chickens and can seriously injure them or kill them so I err on the side of caution and have pens for each species.

Back
Top Bottom