The Duck Thread

But you cannot expect ducklings to go into their house and close the door which sounds like @lakesidefamily
expects. Poor babies, Ducks inside an encloususre with out the safety of door and lock are extremely unsafe.  Big difference.

Mine just automatically go in at night, I shut their door and it has a predator proof latch. It's inside their extensive run. There house at one end chicken coop at the other. There run isn't so predator proof for nightime things like coons and such. Mainly to keep out hawks while they run most of the side yard during the day. I would love to totally free range but we have some pretty big hawks that hang out scouring the landscaping company and field next door for food so it's just not safe.

Mine just automatically go in at night, I shut their door and it has a predator proof latch. It's inside their extensive run. There house at one end chicken coop at the other. There run isn't so predator proof for nightime things like coons and such. Mainly to keep out hawks while they run most of the side yard during the day. I would love to totally free range but we have some pretty big hawks that hang out scouring the landscaping company and field next door for food so it's just not safe.
@Tlmcq sorry if I sounded like I was coming down on you, actually using your experience as an example. The right way and the wrong way of keeping our flock. We have to protect them not expect them to know what to do .Ducks etc left out all night with out protection even with a coop but not locked in are prime targets for predators and won't last long.

Last edited:
No even my young Muscovy drake ignores my KC and Mallard females. I have the two Snowy call drakes, one Rouen drake, and one KC drake. 3 KC females and my mallard. The girls are always with my KC drake but the two calls and the Rouen team up on this one KC. Think I'm going to have hubby make a separate pen for the boys for a bit. And I have been doing the cider but I'll start taking away food/water at night. They still aren't playing in creek even though it low again. My Muscovies are so Neptunes eyes have been clear but not my other ones.
Probably a good idea tag teaming a females isn't very nice and can really injure our girls.

I hate it when they tag team.
rant.gif
I get really mad and yell if I see them doing it...

Back
Top Bottom