The Duck Thread

Oh my gosh
1f60d.png
1f60d.png
1f60d.png
1f60d.png

Has your husband discovered the true amount of ducklings yet?
1f923.png
1f923.png

I'm guessing yes but he hasn't said anything lol

Cross posted didn't get any opinions on the other thread.

I have a question for you all. I just ordered 4 runner hens from metzer. I will get them May 10th. I have 2 Pekin that will be 6 weeks old on Friday. So they will be about 7.5 weeks old when the runners are hatched. How long do I need to wait before the all go together. And if the Pekins turn out to be drakes will they be too big and hurt the runners when they try to mate? If they are both drakes will 4 hens be enough so they don't run them into the ground? Thanks in advance for any info. I have only had ducks for going on 6 weeks so I am still learning.

Quote:
I would wait until the runners are full grown to put them together as the Pekins are so much larger they will trample something smaller in the way and could hurt the runners. My Pekin drake has never tried to mate with our mallard duck but did our welsh harlequin, not to say it wouldn't happen with the right frisky drake and if he does he could definitely drown her :-/

O
Quote:
I would wait until the runners are full grown to put them together as the Pekins are so much larger they will trample something smaller in the way and could hurt the runners. My Pekin drake has never tried to mate with our mallard duck but did our welsh harlequin, not to say it wouldn't happen with the right frisky drake and if he does he could definitely drown her :-/
okay I will definitely wait until they are full grown. I was just worried about the size difference. I'm not even sure if the Pekins are males yet. I'm guessing at least one will be. Hopefully they will start making new noises soon so I can try to tell. Thanks for the response.

Back
Top Bottom