The Duck Thread

I have a ducklings about 5 weeks old. How do you tell difference in a drooping wing from weight of new feathers coming in and developing angel wing? It isn't twisted outward and he can still flap it correctly but not as vigorously as his flock mates, but it is dropped down from weight of quills on new feathers. He pulls it back in correct position all the time but falls right back down. Anything I can do to help so he doesn't develop angel wing?

Well, since he is still young, there is still a chance to fix it. You can use waterproof tape, or a strong, but not harmful tape and place it in the correct position. Then you can tape it, so the wing will grow in the correct position. However, that part of his wing may just be growing faster than his others. You can take a chance to see if the feathers even out and come back to normal, but I recommend taping it. Don't use so much, and don't make it so tight that your duck loses its flexibility. Just put enough to hold it in place. You can wrap it around the wing, but loosely enough for it to extend. You can change the tape as it is getting too lose, but try not to pull any feathers out. Hope I helped.

Thanx for input. I think for next couple days I'm going to just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't start sticking out or twisting away from his body. I think maybe it's just too heavy from growing so quick and hasn't worked the quill coating off the wings. If it starts to stick out away from his body I will tape it then. They had a good long romp in pond today so hopefully it helped soften things up so he can work the quill coating off and all will be good.

I take it back. They aren't hurting them but they aren't letting them cuddle. Going to give it a little more time and then pull them out unless anyone has any better ideas?

I take it back. They aren't hurting them but they aren't letting them cuddle. Going to give it a little more time and then pull them out unless anyone has any better ideas?
You could try it at night when everyone is sleeping and she may not realize they are newbies. Just sneak em up underneath or with the other ducklings and if ya don't disturb em too much it may work...it's kinda hit or miss...some mom's will take on anyones Lil ones and some won't even brood their own.

I am beginning to believe my she is a he. Just want to verify. It now has a feather curl and it's head is turning green.

Attachments

• IMG_2057.PNG
    IMG_2057.PNG
    4.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2064.PNG
    IMG_2064.PNG
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2066.PNG
    IMG_2066.PNG
    3.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2068.PNG
    IMG_2068.PNG