The EE braggers thread!!!

yes, he is a boy :) I was just posting some pictures of the ones that would let me take them today. They are all at least 4 - 4 1/2 months old. So, you can tell by the girl's combs that they are ready to lay soon? I have so much to learn!
Welcome to the wonderful world of chickens! Oh, and Welcome to BYC also
welcome-byc.gif

When a hen approaches laying age their combs (and wattles if they have any) will get brighter red. The boys' combs will turn before that, as their hormones kick in, but the girls won't change until they are approaching POL (Point Of Lay). Another sign is that they will "squat" for the boys (or for you), crouch down on the ground. Then there is the nesting fun, scratching all the padding out of the boxes and throwing it over their heads. And then the "I'm upset" song also known as the "egg song" on BYC - some hens get upset when they lay an egg, some get upset when somebody else kicks them out of the nest - and once one starts it the whole bunch can join in and make a chorus!

New hens will also sometimes not lay in the nest - you may find eggs in odd places, including broken ones under the roost because they laid while sitting on the roost! To encourage using the nesting boxes I use golf balls or fake eggs (I like the rock ones, pretty colors). Put a few in the nest and that will tell them "It's safe to lay here, look at all the other eggs that are safe here."

From the color of the first pictured girl's comb I would say she is the closest - and may even be responsible for that egg. You can check their vent (back hole) and see - those that are moist and pink looking are laying, those that are dry and white looking are not.

Welcome to the wonderful world of chickens! Oh, and Welcome to BYC also
welcome-byc.gif

When a hen approaches laying age their combs (and wattles if they have any) will get brighter red. The boys' combs will turn before that, as their hormones kick in, but the girls won't change until they are approaching POL (Point Of Lay). Another sign is that they will "squat" for the boys (or for you), crouch down on the ground. Then there is the nesting fun, scratching all the padding out of the boxes and throwing it over their heads. And then the "I'm upset" song also known as the "egg song" on BYC - some hens get upset when they lay an egg, some get upset when somebody else kicks them out of the nest - and once one starts it the whole bunch can join in and make a chorus!

New hens will also sometimes not lay in the nest - you may find eggs in odd places, including broken ones under the roost because they laid while sitting on the roost! To encourage using the nesting boxes I use golf balls or fake eggs (I like the rock ones, pretty colors). Put a few in the nest and that will tell them "It's safe to lay here, look at all the other eggs that are safe here."

From the color of the first pictured girl's comb I would say she is the closest - and may even be responsible for that egg. You can check their vent (back hole) and see - those that are moist and pink looking are laying, those that are dry and white looking are not.
Thanks for the welcome and all of the information. My husband heard the "egg song" the other day. I'm really excited that one of them is actually laying an egg :)

This is Mocha my most likely Roo. 9 weeks old but this pic was taken at maybe 6 or 7 weeks. I will post a newer one tomorrow, BYC isn't laying me post the new pic. I really hope I can keep my little Mocha, he just can't be crowing all the time or loud. Neighbors, can't the enjoy a alarm clock that sets its self?

Love those feet! Our roosters started crowing at 3:47 this morning. Often and Loud. We only have one neighbor that can hear them and he just thinks it's comical that they don't quite have it down pat yet.

If he looks small I forgot to mention he is a bantam
Mocha is a cute Roo - however bantams are usually higher pitched than LF. You can try and train him by keeping him in the coop until you want him to crow - sometimes they don't like crowing in an enclosed place - and sometimes the enclosure will mute his crows to a more acceptable level.

I love beginning crowers - somebody likened them to a kazoo - and I have to agree - its what they sound like. Either that or they sound like they are being strangled
lau.gif

Oh, you can edit your post by clicking on the pencil in the lower left corner, so you don't have to correct further down. Not sure if it shows up in mobile - but it does in desktop version.

Last edited:
Who among us is without flaw?

Thank you Master.
Patience is a virtue.

BTW...is your coop larger on the inside than the outside? ...and I suspicion holds no timey-wimey detectors....at least not within 30 paces.
wink.png

yuckyuck.gif
no, it is smaller on the outside, lol. no timey-wimey detectors, but maybe a fez hat or bow tie.

One of our EE's Miss Julia Grant has developed quite the color! She was a yellow chick, and then an all white young pullet, and what we thought was just Julia being chronically filthy is apparently now her coloring! Sorry for the bad cell phone pic but has anyone had a bird look like this? They're about 16 weeks now and we are wondering what on earth she will look like once she matures.

Back
Top Bottom