The EE braggers thread!!!

Omg those chicks are adorable!!!

Today i found out my other bantam EE is laying light green eggs

(She is the first hen on the roost with the black face)

Congrat, on the new egg.

This probably isn't the place to really post this but maybe you all can help me anyway. Is it best to rehome a cockeral when they are young or when they are older? We can't have roosters in the city. I am so sad about this because I'm positive one of my chicks is a roo and semi positive another EE is a Roo (I posted their pics before). I would love to see this roo grow up and see his antics that he already pulls haha.

This probably isn't the place to really post this but maybe you all can help me anyway. Is it best to rehome a cockeral when they are young or when they are older? We can't have roosters in the city. I am so sad about this because I'm positive one of my chicks is a roo and semi positive another EE is a Roo (I posted their pics before). I would love to see this roo grow up and see his antics that he already pulls haha.

If you wait til he's older you.will.know if its a roo.for sure. With roos some people want them older so they know what they look like for breeding purposes but rehoming them at any age is always the same

When I have extra cockerels I want to rehome, I start looking and will rehome as soon as a good home is available. As long as they behave themselves they can stay here or until a good home comes along.

Generally speaking, IMO, it isn't desirable for an EE to have a single comb, as the pea comb is part of what makes the EE an EE. But single combs can be beautiful and useful and I would not cull one unless it was for a very reason. Single combs usually lay brown eggs as opposed to blue or green from pea combed birds. A lot of people think an EE must have a muff and beard to be an EE but some are clean-faced. As long as those lay a blue/green egg, I consider them EEs. I tend to look at EEs as being a landrace, not mutts. (What an ugly word.)They are starting to get away from what they use to be, but a good EE group will all have some similarity and continuity. EEs have an interesting and old heritage. Be proud of them!

I know EE's usually have a pea comb from the Ameraucana's. Does anyone have EE's that have single combs?

Thanks!

I have a few . They will become more common due to Crested Cream Legbar and Isbar being used in making EE . Both breeds have single comb and the blue egg gene . I have CCL mixes now .

Generally speaking, IMO, it isn't desirable for an EE to have a single comb, as the pea comb is part of what makes the EE an EE. But single combs can be beautiful and useful and I would not cull one unless it was for a very reason. Single combs usually lay brown eggs as opposed to blue or green from pea combed birds. A lot of people think an EE must have a muff and beard to be an EE but some are clean-faced. As long as those lay a blue/green egg, I consider them EEs. I tend to look at EEs as being a landrace, not mutts. (What an ugly word.)They are starting to get away from what they use to be, but a good EE group will all have some similarity and continuity. EEs have an interesting and old heritage. Be proud of them!

I agree. I would not worry about the combs, they will still make good layers even if they don't lay blue/green eggs.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom