The EE braggers thread!!!

Try not to buy more chicks when you pick up your phone....sounds like setting yourself subconsciously for more shopping!
wink.png

I was thinking the same thing!

Close - but not quite right. Yes, Araucana are a breed, but so are Ameraucanas. Americana is an oft used misspelled version of the name of the true breed applied to Easter Eggers (mixed breed birds with some blue egg parentage that may lay colored eggs). True Ameraucanas are recognized in a limited range of colors and have very specific breed characteristics to be met to be deemed the real deal. Those sold in feed stores and all but one or two hatcheries are Easter Eggers, no matter the label - and the hatcheries use all sorts of phrases like you have "come in all colors" in their descriptions of their "Ameraucanas" as a way to wink and nod acknowledge that they are not, in fact, selling pure bred Ameraucanas.

And how nicely you avoided saying that the intentionally misspelled Ameraucana chicks are an attempt to fool the buyers into thinking they are getting pure bred chicks for the price of mutts. Or they will claim that since there is no APA recognized Easter Egger breed, they must be Ameraucana. After all, other than the required colors, a lot of EEs look just like Ameraucana. They have muffs and beards so what else could they be??

BTW I am not using mutt as a derogatory term. Of the 6 breeds I have, the EE "mutts" and Black Australorps are the ones I would get again. I love the diversity of colors in the EEs.

Last edited:
EE's dont have regular combs do they? I was told this hen was an EE when i bought her in September but i see everyone's EE' all have little pea combs. She lays cream eggs but i dont think she is an EE. If not then i have 5 EE's not 6

Depends on what was crossed to make the chicken! I don't know all the ins and outs of combs but I know some types are dominant. So it is possible your chicken is an EE with a straight comb.

Are those legs green or slate? And if slate, are the bottom of the feet gray? I ask because she looks a lot like my Black Australorps. That is not likely though since BAs lay medium to dark brown eggs. Cream is certainly one of the possible colors for an EE and not all EEs have muffs or beards.

Candy is my OE. If Candy is a he then she will be renamed "The Candyman," from a horror movie. Bless her heart. She is a cross between an Ameraucana hen and a Maran roo, but I realize that her mom was really probably EE and not Ameraucana. Candy has a peacomb but it is three rows as you can see in this pic...roo?

Candy has hairy legs that are a very pretty greenish gray color that is not captured by the camera today.

Candy has a brooder mate that is a week and a half younger. The brooder mate is my EE and her name is Black Bear. Black Bear is probably a roo - she is such a pill sometimes, fusses when I pick her up and gives me a good griping to. I really want Black Bear to be a hen. Black Bear is a cross between a blue orpington roo and a isbar so a part of me is hoping that because her parents both have straight combs that this is why she has a straight comb. I really wanted to see what kind of eggs she would throw.

Black Bear again

They both look like cockerels to me with those prominent combs so young.

And how nicely you avoided saying that the intentionally misspelled Ameraucana chicks are an attempt to fool the buyers into thinking they are getting pure bred chicks for the price of mutts. Or they will claim that since there is no APA recognized Easter Egger breed, they must be Ameraucana. After all, other than the required colors, a lot of EEs look just like Ameraucana. They have muffs and beards so what else could they be??

BTW I am not using mutt as a derogatory term. Of the 6 breeds I have, the EE "mutts" and Black Australorps are the ones I would get again. I love the diversity of colors in the EEs.

My EEs have been better layers than my wheaten ameraucanas. That's a plus for EEs so I'll always have a few for egg production and pretty feathers in the flock. I pick out the non-chipmunk chicks that the feed store gets to get pretty mixed colors.

EE's dont have regular combs do they? I was told this hen was an EE when i bought her in September but i see everyone's EE' all have little pea combs. She lays cream eggs but i dont think she is an EE. If not then i have 5 EE's not 6

It's very possible to have an EE with a single comb. Even easier if one of the parents was a legbar since they have a single comb and lay blue eggs.

Her legs are slate i will have to look at her feet again as i think they are slate too. She lays a light color egg cream/pinkish sometimes..
I believe that pinkish is an EE color. Frankly I have always wanted the fabled pink egg layer!

Anyone have a genetics chart on the EE? A little more info on the blue gene?

Back
Top Bottom