The EE braggers thread!!!

wow that is a lot of chicks all at once! Did you buy or hatch?
I bought them this year I didn't have any EE hens , a lot of them will be sold it was cheaper to buy in bulk and then sell off what I didn't need. This will be for next years breeding so I can pair off 10 - 20 hens per roos.

I have EE , BR, BO ,RIR, Australorps, and Ameraucana

When they are of age they will be put into breeding pens :)

ETA : The Ameraucana are not from hatchery I had to get them from a breeder. But the 250 you see in the picture are all hatchery stock chicks.

Last edited:
I have many roosters here on my land and I have handled them from day one and never had a problem.
We recently rescued a EE from someone , and he did flog their child I do have children but ages 11 up to 21
They all handle the chickens and roosters without a problem and this rooster has turned out to be a really well behaved fella.
As soon as we got him we snatched him up by his legs turned him over put him under our arms each of us did this we
made sure he knew who was boss. He is a perfect roo now and I have no doubt im my mind he will remain fine here.

They are like dogs they can sense fear they can tell when someones body language is changing as your sensing a rush of OMG
is that rooster going to come after me he will already be at your legs I am sure.

You have to show them who is boss. Thats the only way I can get through it with 9 roosters who all free range.
I think that is the best advice. It worked for me! We still had to get rid of ours as it is incredibly hard to have a 2 year old be the boss of a 12 lb. brahma rooster. Once they were scared he targeted them no matter where they werein the yard. However, I think as humans we expect so much from our animals. We want them to fend for themselves but also depend on us...we ask them to raise their young but not defend it from us....we want our roos to protect his flock but not from humans. That is alot to ask of anything ecspecially a bird. I think with most animal species the best mothers are the fiercest and the most productive males are the ones who take care of their "families". It is how they were made and who are we to try and make them different?

*** I would definitly see a 2 year old boy as a threat to my health if I was only the size of a chicken! Just saying :)

I think that is the best advice. It worked for me! We still had to get rid of ours as it is incredibly hard to have a 2 year old be the boss of a 12 lb. brahma rooster. Once they were scared he targeted them no matter where they werein the yard. However, I think as humans we expect so much from our animals. We want them to fend for themselves but also depend on us...we ask them to raise their young but not defend it from us....we want our roos to protect his flock but not from humans. That is alot to ask of anything ecspecially a bird. I think with most animal species the best mothers are the fiercest and the most productive males are the ones who take care of their "families". It is how they were made and who are we to try and make them different?

*** I would definitly see a 2 year old boy as a threat to my health if I was only the size of a chicken! Just saying :)
I agree with everything you just said. We have a rooster that targeted my son and he became scared to go outside by himself. So I decided to start a game with him. He loves to throw rocks at tin cans, so I figured it wouldn't be much different to throw rocks at the rooster. We live in Arkansas and if rocks were a cash crop we would be rich, they are everywhere! So my son started throwing rocks at the rooster whenever he came near him. He thought it was fun and the rooster got the point fairly quickly. (My son is 3 by the way, almost 4). Now the hard part was teaching him when to throw rocks at the rooster and when not to. Now he plays outside without any fear of being attached by the rooster. The novelty of the game has worn off and the rooster understands not to target my son because he will be stoned! Lol! I also think that because I threw stones with my son to teach him how to defend himself the rooster views my son as an extension of me, and he never messes with me! I have definitely humiliated him in front of his ladies a few times before. This story had a happy ending, but I am sure there are roosters out there that are just plain mean and should be culled or re-homed.

I think it also helps to go outside and feed scratch to the chickens or give them treats so the rooster understands that you are the good guy and don't create stress in the flock. I don't pick up any of my free ranging chickens during the day, only when they have roosted for the night to check their weight to make sure everyone is healthy. So the rooster and his hens only associate us with positive experiences when we are outside with them. I still handle them as chicks and adolescent birds, but once they make it outside to the big coop to join the rest of the flock, they become chickens. We haven't had any predator losses so far (and we happen to be surrounded by coyotes, wild dogs and other carnivorous wildlife). That could be because we have 4 dogs kenneled nearby and a Great Pyrenees that roams the property, but I also think it is because we allow our chickens to be chickens and have a good rooster hen ratio so that they can do their job and protect their ladies properly. Fingers crossed this continues to be the case.
fl.gif

Yea I would never expect anyone to keep a rooster who attacks a small child thats just too dangerous and babies come first.

The rule here is they have to be able to live in peace in order to live here. This goes for cats , dogs and any other critter that wants to live on my farm.

Yea I would never expect anyone to keep a rooster who attacks a small child thats just too dangerous and babies come first.

The rule here is they have to be able to live in peace in order to live here. This goes for cats , dogs and any other critter that wants to live on my farm.
That is the rule of thumb here as well. My nephew got attacked by rooster when he was little. He is a senior this year and still has the scars on his back to prove a nasty rooster isn't worth the risk.

Back
Top Bottom