The EE braggers thread!!!

Wow. That egg color post made my head spin! I read it 3 times and still don't get it. I did however see the 25% pink; is this the "tinted"/ "pink" or the pink all the way through the shell pink? I'll re read this till i get it as i've been mulling egg color genes over as well.

ok the 25% could be Brown or Pink or even white, it just represents the lack of Blue egg shell gene, now I find very interesting what Pink eggs are, they dont follow the whole brown egg gene pattern of work(outer layer of brown pigment, while being white inside)

I read some of what was on the classroom and the coop about the idea, too. Just needs the right genetic guy to observe and document???
;) my pivs never did justice. I wish i'd have saved a shell for proof! The original quecha fowl were supposed to lay the yellow/ gold egg as well..?

16 New Easter Eggers:

These two pictures are of my stock, 8 in each photo.

These are from shipped eggs from Bhep:

6 from 14 shipped. There are still a few that look like they're going to hatch.

I read some of what was on the classroom and the coop about the idea, too. Just needs the right genetic guy to observe and document???
wink.png
my pivs never did justice. I wish i'd have saved a shell for proof! The original quecha fowl were supposed to lay the yellow/ gold egg as well..?

Tea colored it is most often described. Grannychicks55 has a Collonca girl that lays a yellow egg with lavender spots. I have an Olive Egger girl who lays a dark brown egg with a pink inside. She is a BCM/Am cross. If you swipe her egg with vinegar on a cotton swab the brown comes off leaving a pink and it is pink to the inside of the shell. I have peeled the inner rubbery paper layer off and it is pink. Here is a picture of Grannychick55's eggs. These are Black Olmec Quetcha, Sweet Potato Quetcha, and Colloncas. As you can see there are more than just the usual shades of blue and green.

i got her as an americauna (from a ranch store) she has always laid a green egg but never brown spots thats new lol

The spots are the brown coating gene at work. It is not caused by just one gene. There are thought to be modifying genes that control the darkness and the smoothness of the application. My brown egg laying OE girl sometimes lays a smooth brown egg and sometime it has more texture to the coating with darker and lighter areas. There is also a possibility that some of variances in the coatings can be environmental. Not enough science research has been conducted yet to say for sure.

The spots are the brown coating gene at work. It is not caused by just one gene. There are thought to be modifying genes that control the darkness and the smoothness of the application. My brown egg laying OE girl sometimes lays a smooth brown egg and sometime it has more texture to the coating with darker and lighter areas. There is also a possibility that some of variances in the coatings can be environmental. Not enough science research has been conducted yet to say for sure.
i have noticed with this hen who laid this egg ,what she eats effects the egg color ,if she eats pumkin its a green with orange hue,i tossed dandy lions to them yesterday and carnations (first time shes had them)

Today my three favorite pullet and two cockerels are 8 weeks and 2 days old. I went up to the coops this morning and I heard this god awful noise! I stood there and I heard it again. It turns out one of them was trying to crow for the first time! Lol I'm pretty sure it was bacon trying to crow. He seems to be the most mature one so far.
big_smile.png

Snowflake, my favorite EE pullet from this years batch

Bacon, the terrible sounding one
gig.gif

Taco, I love his colors! He has a gray beard and some gray spots on his head and tail.

We have 2 chicks from the feed store (labeled "ameraucana pullets" lol so I am assuming EEs!) and 2 have beards! But no green feet :/

And awhile back I posted this non bearded EE and it might be a Roo...day I love the coloring lol think its still a roo?

Back
Top Bottom