The EE braggers thread!!!

Can EE birds be shown in open class or any other class?
No. Not at an APA show, there is no EE class and if you enter as Ameraucana they would either not place if they are close to the standard or be disqualified because they are no where near standard. I would suggest if you want to show get some standard bred birds. EE are mutts, pretty, useful, but still not purebred birds.

Open generally refers to the age of the exhibitor, open is for anyone, youth or junior are classes for exhibitors under the age of 18, some shows/fairs have different classes for different age groups.

My EE, was the "free chick" by a hatchery. We call her Oddball, because she didn't match anything else we had at the time. She lays daily a jumbo spearmint colored egg. She is the leader of the hens and was raised by my black Orphenton. My Rooster also favors her. Her personality is standoffish, but she is a hardy, healthy strong hen whom we reluctantly came to love.

Recently we got her a roo

He is a 5 month old hatched from a pink tinted egg.

We call him Seagull.

I know that there is a major debate between the use of Americana, Ameracauna, Auracana, and EE.  To add to the confusion I got 4 birds from TSC labeled Aracauna. I figured they are EE and grabbed a few.  Imagine my surprise when one of the roosters is rumpless.  He is still an EE I'm sure but what are the genetics on a rumpless bird.  Is he more likely to carry the blue egg gene? Will off spring be rumpless as well or it is a recessive trait?

** I no longer have a rooster and want to keep one of the ones that are growing up. Temperament is tthe most important but I also want to select for egg color/size and beautiful birds... I'm basically just making my own barnyard mixes that I like :)

I have 2 EE roos in my LF mixed flock. I kept 4 pullets from last year. I got 1 green, 1 blue, 1 blue with white spots & 1 creamy pinkish. That's the fun part of EE. My boys have the best attitudes and personalities.

Hundleychickens.
Welcome.
I'm not seeing the saddle or hackle feathers that say roo. The redness of the comb is bright for its age. Is its legs getting longer than your other EE. I bought one that was supposed to be a pullet. The first thing I noticed was the comb turning red and now its legs are longer. I'm 99% sure mine is a roo.

Last edited:
I have a Questions. I have 3 EE's in my coop now that are roughly a year old and have 4 other hens/chicks i have been raising (2EE/2BR) that are roughly the same height that are 11 weeks old. When can I introduce them into the coop?

Haha!purebred birds my left foot!Every "purebred" animal is made up of a whole bunch of different "breeds" that make up the bird to look the same as the breeder wished it,every "purebred" animal are Mutts,plain and simple!Shows are just vanity for people who want to believe their birds are better than Everyone Else's!

Introducing 2 flocks is so nerve racking! I have my 3 weekers in the same "run" as my 9 weekers but there are plenty of places to hide as well as the littles being able to get under the gate.
So, tadkins472, the standard procedure is to let them see each other but have some barrier that prevents them from chasing and pecking. Like a cage inside of the coop or a fenced off area in the run. If you have a run that is large enough for multiple hiding places, you can try letting them both in the run and see how it goes.
Do you have a run?
The other advice I've seen is to put the new ones in at night and in the am make a lot of commotion while feeding so all the birds focus their attention on you instead of realizing there are new birds. I don't quite buy that one - I'm pretty sure mine wouldn't be fooled by that but maybe if they were already acclimated to seeing the new birds through a screen ...
@sekeyslaks I think the same thing when I hear people calling EEs mutts but then going on to say this other bird is breed x breed and not call it a mutt at all.

Back
Top Bottom