The EE braggers thread!!!

Look at the wing feather growth. If it looks pretty even with primary feathers just a little longer than secondary then most likely a girly. If the wing feathering looks stunted (compared to body size) with the primary much longer than the secondary then most likely a boy. Im pretty sure is a girl: Im pretty sure is boy: Girls look feather heavy in the wing compared to boys.
Ok I always heard that fast feathering would mean Pullet, is that kinda what your saying? Take a look at my 9 day olds feathering using your theory and let me know what you think???

Sadly my beautiful Buckbeak had to be euthanized yesterday. She had been suffering from impacted crop and we were unable to treat it at home. We took her to the vet and he also tried but felt this was secondary to something else, most likely a cancer. By that point she was in distress and having trouble breathing so we decided to let her pass in peace. She was such a cool chicken :(
So sorry for your loss. .

Ok I always heard that fast feathering would mean Pullet, is that kinda what your saying? Take a look at my 9 day olds feathering using your theory and let me know what you think???

It gets a bit harder to tell with days as the primary/secondary feather length catches up but Id say male as there isnt a tail feather showing. Do you have any other 9 day olds to compare it to?

No my others are 5 days old. I was leaning toward cockerel also just based on behavior, very protective over the younger chicks and charges me when ever I put my hand in the brooder. I could tell on his Dad at 5 weeks so I should know soon.

Behaviors are also indicative for sure. If a little roo who is protective of younger ones that is great. I had a wonderful rooster, Henny Penny, who was killed by some dogs. He used to baby sit the babies while moms took a break. He was so good with the babies letting them play on him and all. Not a mean bone in his little body. I hope if a roo yours will be a doting dad too!

Last edited:

I have never owned or researched Easter Eggers in my life, and I'm not sure if I have one or not.
This is Grand Funk, I think he is an Easter Egger unless someone more experienced can Id him. He came from Tractor Supply, and his colors look like the breed picture on their breed identification chart, which I assumed he is an Easter Egger. Green legged, pea combed, and was originally partiage colored feathering.

I would love to find some EE pullets if that's the case, but having bad luck finding any local and for a reasonable price.
Will crosses between him and other laying breeds make any colored egg layers? I got a black Australorp pullet and I think a White rock pullet with him. They are free ranged for now, but tamed. I need more pullets, so I may buy some copper maran pullets for a deal... I'm overwhelmed here with choices lol.

I have never owned or researched Easter Eggers in my life, and I'm not sure if I have one or not.
This is Grand Funk, I think he is an Easter Egger unless someone more experienced can Id him. He came from Tractor Supply, and his colors look like the breed picture on their breed identification chart, which I assumed he is an Easter Egger. Green legged, pea combed, and was originally partiage colored feathering.

I would love to find some EE pullets if that's the case, but having bad luck finding any local and for a reasonable price.
Will crosses between him and other laying breeds make any colored egg layers? I got a black Australorp pullet and I think a White rock pullet with him. They are free ranged for now, but tamed. I need more pullets, so I may buy some copper maran pullets for a deal... I'm overwhelmed here with choices lol.

He definately looks like an EE.

As far as breeds bred him with non blue egg gene hens it will be a Big toss up on whether or not the offspring will lay green/blue eggs. Will make pretty babies though.

My choice would be Easter Eggers, Amereaucsba, or Araucsna hens. At least some thing that lays colored eggs even an Legbars would be good.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom