The EE braggers thread!!!

I am probably behind the times because I've just been busy and busier.
I've discovered a sexable EE
The Carolina Blue.
Anyone have any thoughts/?
I must have some

Never heard of them before, but they look like a simple sex linked EE. They're described as 100% blue with no chance of black or splash so I'd say they're something like Splash Ameraucana cock over something Barred - they might have gone the lazy way and just used Barred Rocks or they could be using some form of custom Barred EE or Ameraucana line.

What's interesting is that they're blue - and it's considered rather difficult to sex black sex links who also have the blue gene. Tends to muddle the spot and make it hard to be sure. Makes me wonder if they can be sexed with 100% accuracy like other sex links or if they have a lower accuracy rate.

Quote: TTYTT, I'm really not 100% sure of what he is, or if he even is an Easter Egger. I got him at a feed store who get's their chicks from Mt. Healthy hatchery, and that is the end all of my knowledge about his heritage. He was in with the EEs, but they were also supposed to be sexed pullets, and he obviously isn't (hence his name
wink.png
). Also one of the "EE's" turned out to be (best guess) a Black Australorp.

Last edited:
Just curious why you would consider autosexing a negative? Talking with friends who have chickens everyone would consider it a plus. If you didn't care, maybe a neutral, but why a negative?
This year I did some breedings that enabled me to tell the sex very early. I thought it would be right away but definitely by two weeks and it was so much easier.

I consider it a negative for me.

I have a hatchery, small but a NPIP USDA inspected hatchery. I am getting away from the autosexing breeds.

They increase the price people pay for the girls but they require me to either destroy the boys. I would prefer to be a no kill hatchery. I would rather sell a chick for 3 bucks than a autosexing female for 10-15. It is a bad deal for the customer.

I would rather they take all the chicks straight run and when it becomes a problem they eat it instead of me eating it. I cannot eat all the boys I raise.

I really have not seen the demand worth the hassle of the autosexing, from my point of view. In addition there are always people that think the chicks of the chicks should be autosexing. That is not always the case.

You need to have the barrin gand double barring gene as I understand it. I am not an expert on it and frankly don't care, I will not be rasing many if any autosexing birds. I am going more towards older breeds that are endangered or threatened on the nature conservatory list.

I know of a person, I consider a friend on here that developed a Autosexing EE and found nearly no demand for it. He is most likely reading this now, so I hope I got his words right.

While it is "nice" for people who cannot have roosters. But then raising a rooster for 12 weeks or so and processing it is almost always an option too.

I would rather not waste a day old roosters life for vanity. I would rather they were given a short good life and used to feed a human. These are the reasons I consider them a negative. If you raise your own chicks at home, what are you going to do with the boys?

I
I consider it a negative for me.

I have a hatchery, small but a NPIP USDA inspected hatchery.  I am getting away from the autosexing breeds.

They increase the price people pay for the girls but they require me to either destroy the boys.  I would prefer to be a no kill hatchery.   I would rather sell a chick for 3 bucks than a autosexing female for 10-15.  It is a bad deal for the customer.

I would rather they take all the chicks straight run and when it becomes a problem they eat it instead of me eating it. I cannot eat all the boys I raise.

I really have not seen the demand worth the hassle of the autosexing, from my point of view.  In addition there are always people that think the chicks of the chicks should be autosexing. That is not always the case.

You need to have the barrin gand double barring gene as I understand it.  I am not an expert on it and frankly don't care, I will not be rasing many if any autosexing birds.  I am going more towards older breeds that are endangered or threatened on the nature conservatory list.

I know of a person, I consider a friend on here that developed a Autosexing EE and found nearly no demand for it.   He is most likely reading this now, so I hope I got his words right.

While it is "nice" for people who cannot have roosters. But then raising a rooster for 12 weeks or so and processing it is almost always an option too.

I would rather not waste a day old roosters life for vanity. I would rather they were given a short good life and used to feed a human.  These are the reasons I consider them a negative. If you raise your own chicks at home, what are you going to do with the boys?  
have no problems passing on hens or cocks. People in our circles have lots of space love their chickens and do process some.
We have no negatives here for boys or girls, my daughter raises the most docile birds I've ever seen. Plus we stay with EE for that reason.
We have some marans we grew out, but did not hatch ourselves you can tell it. They are a little spooky.(keeping the few blues)
Autosexing and selling multi bird starter packages ensures they have a protector of their flock too. Usually only have very few extra boys to rehome
We don't over price, have even been accused of underpriced before.especially for our English lavender orps

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom