The EE braggers thread!!!

Quote:
Don't want to gross anyone out here, but somethings in other cultures are used that people in America throw out. Like heads and feet. Daughter-in-law is Thai. Spend much time in what we call third world, and you will see things eaten that you would never in your life have thought people would eat. It gives new meaning to the word "Survival".

I second this - lived in Turkey as a foreign exchange student and yes - they use ALL parts on their eating animals !

Hey there, EE lovers! I have too many roosters here, so I need to get rid of a couple. I have listed in the sale/auction section a handsome 10 month old. HE IS FREE for the asking. I would even deliver him, or meet up with you within reasonable distance. I am in Northeastern Ohio. He is one of my favorites, and a good boy, but I just have too many. Please contact me if interested.

33190_img_20110316_171522.jpg

Notice his muff has been picked by the others. It will grow in black, and he will look even better than he is now, if I can get him away from the other roos!

Last edited:
Quote:
WOW! What a handsome guy! I'm in Ross county, and DW would tell me, "You already have more roosters than you know what to do with!" We have two now that we will probably end up eating very soon as I have eggs in the incubator and sure to get more. I have also an Araucana rooster a local person gave me, that will be daddy to any chicks that hatch.

SOOOOO.... I guess that's a no as to taking him off your hands. You might try Craig's List or the Ohio thread has people on here from your part of the state. Really, I'd love to have him, but - well we're just to far at this time. Good luck finding him a lucky home.

Quote:
Don't want to gross anyone out here, but somethings in other cultures are used that people in America throw out. Like heads and feet. Daughter-in-law is Thai. Spend much time in what we call third world, and you will see things eaten that you would never in your life have thought people would eat. It gives new meaning to the word "Survival".

I second this - lived in Turkey as a foreign exchange student and yes - they use ALL parts on their eating animals !

I'd forgotten this but I recall when I was a kid (about a hundred years ago as I tell the grandkids) my mom and aunts would peel the feet of our chickens and use 'em for soup stock.
Stolen from this site:
http://nourishedkitchen.com/chicken-feet-stock/

Chicken feet – gnarly, repulsive and disturbing – make for the very best stock. Devoid of little else but tendons, bone and cartilage (sound appetizing yet?), chicken feet produce a fine golden broth that’s rich in all those obscure nutrients that make a good stock so nourishing: glucosamine chondroitin, collagen and trace minerals. Moreover, a chicken stock is an excellent source of calcium without . Understandably, a stock made from chicken feet gels beautifully just as a good stock should.

Regards, Woody

I have a rooster that is EE/ BCM bearded, fluffy eggs. I agree about the the feathered legs and the mud. He lost most of the feathers because of deep mud. I have a young picture of him. His mother was a EE that was penned with the BCMs. She was kinda a wheaten color with a bluest cast threw her feather
18169_100_8597.jpg
He was very young in this picture. It is a good thing I saved him his father got shot my the neighbors kids. Hopeful olive egger sire His mother came for a blue egg. and she laided blue eggs. He is becoming a very colorful bird as he gets older

PS got my EE chicks yesterday. cute little fluffy cheeks. 9 chipmonk colored. 1 yellow with afew black spots on it. Wanted some black ones but didnt get any in the order. Suppose to be pullets Time will tell. I'll take picture tonight. don't look anything like Ameraucana chicks. It will be interesting to see what they turn out like. The gal at the feed store said 4 of the colors I picked out look just like hers . They turned out to be base blue with pretty colors on them (If I could be so lucky.) They weren't out of Texas. They came from Belt hatchery in Fresno.
I think I got them early enough that they will supply me with winter eggs. too
Picture later

Quote:

I'd forgotten this but I recall when I was a kid (about a hundred years ago as I tell the grandkids) my mom and aunts would peel the feet of our chickens and use 'em for soup stock.
Stolen from this site:
http://nourishedkitchen.com/chicken-feet-stock/

Chicken feet – gnarly, repulsive and disturbing – make for the very best stock. Devoid of little else but tendons, bone and cartilage (sound appetizing yet?), chicken feet produce a fine golden broth that’s rich in all those obscure nutrients that make a good stock so nourishing: glucosamine chondroitin, collagen and trace minerals. Moreover, a chicken stock is an excellent source of calcium without . Understandably, a stock made from chicken feet gels beautifully just as a good stock should.

Regards, Woody

I do love a good stock! When I was a kid they would sell pickled chicken's feet at the butcher's. Not sure they would make a good stock. Ok note to self. Next time I raise birds that I might eat, no feathered feet on them!
smile.png

My flock of EEs are putting out lovely olive, blue, and green eggs. I just love to collect the eggs! It always amazes me that a bird this small can lay an egg *this* big! Two are olive eggs from BO x Ameraucanas, one is a blue egg from BO x Ameraucana, one is a BO pullet egg, and one is from a Silkie x Ameraucana:

56682_100_1719_three_ameraucana_x_bo_eggs_plus_one_bopullet_egg_plus_one_silkie_x_ameraucana_egg.jpg

Watching them cavort around their runs is theraputic, too. These are my silkie x ameraucana hens and roosters, hatched last spring from eggs from the chickens of emvickrey. I wake up each morning to the lovely sound (to me, anyway) of roosters crowing.
wee.gif

56682_100_1724_white_frizzle-gened_silkie_roo_and_three_silkiexameraucana_hens.jpg

56682_100_1723_silkie_x_ameraucana_roo.jpg

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
Quote:
Leg feathering is quite a complicated topic. But yes, generally speaking if one parent has two copies, all the offspring will have feathered legs.

Back
Top Bottom