The EE braggers thread!!!

I told my husband I wanted to keep a few of my favorite shells like the first egg the first green hopefully a first blue. Im pretty sure he thinks im weird. Hes the lucky one though I have done all the hard work with these chickens from day one they are my girls and he happened to find the very first egg last week. I said you know what thats ok I can still be so excited because I can find the first EE egg... NOPE hubby found that green one yesterday to while I was out at my sisters house. He actually accidentally scared the chicken out of her nest box mid lay while he was checking for eggs she ran right out of the coop and oops laid the egg in the middle of the run he scooped it up quick because all the chickens got interested and tried to peck it he said. I hope that doesnt scare her from trying the nest box again today. With any luck for me one of the other EEs will lay a different color and maybe just maybe ill get to find that one first.

Speaking of first eggs, Everyone
jumpy.gif
...How old are EE when they start to lay?
Do their combs grow and get red a week or so before POL like other breeds?
Do EE start doing the egg squat like other breeds?
Does anyone know if EE are generally smaller hens than other "large fowl" breeds?

I've got 2 EE pullets that will be 16 weeks old on Friday. Their combs are getting pinker but are still pretty flat. They still seem like my babies and are a bit smaller than even my RIR hen. (They are dwarfed by my Barred Rock and fluffy Buff Orpington girls-LOL)!

Chicken Pickin, I hope you find a first egg soon.
fl.gif

jumpy.gif
Does anyone know if EE are generally smaller hens than other "large fowl" breeds?

I've got 2 EE pullets that will be 16 weeks old on Friday. Their combs are getting pinker but are still pretty flat. They still seem like my babies and are a bit smaller than even my RIR hen. (They are dwarfed by my Barred Rock and fluffy Buff Orpington girls-LOL)!

fl.gif

I'm not sure of exact age because I didn't have my EE before becoming almost old enough to lay. Anyway, i can tell you the eyes and comb became really red before I started finding eggs. Her redness is less now. As for the squatting, she did squat when ever someone tried to touch her. I just took it as being "the new gal in the coop submissiveness".
CG

jumpy.gif

fl.gif

My EE is 4 1/2 months, and her comb has grown a bit and turned more red, but no squatting or eggs yet. The neighbor's year+ old EE hens do squat.

As for size, it all depends on the individual breeding for the bird. My EE is mid-range for large fowl. She's bigger than my Welsummer and Leghorn, but smaller than Buff Orp and Australorp. All are hatchery stock, which can be really different from breeders' stock.

Henderson's Chicken Breed Chart lists weights for different breeds, so you can get some idea of what to expect. Unfortunately, they do not list EEs (not considered a breed).
hmm.png

I'm not sure of exact age because I didn't have my EE before becoming almost old enough to lay. Anyway, i can tell you the eyes and comb became really red before I started finding eggs. Her redness is less now. As for the squatting, she did squat when ever someone tried to touch her. I just took it as being "the new gal in the coop submissiveness".
CG

My EE is 4 1/2 months, and her comb has grown a bit and turned more red, but no squatting or eggs yet. The neighbor's year+ old EE hens do squat.

As for size, it all depends on the individual breeding for the bird. My EE is mid-range for large fowl. She's bigger than my Welsummer and Leghorn, but smaller than Buff Orp and Australorp. All are hatchery stock, which can be really different from breeders' stock.

Henderson's Chicken Breed Chart lists weights for different breeds, so you can get some idea of what to expect. Unfortunately, they do not list EEs (not considered a breed).
hmm.png
Thank you for the information. I guess I'll be waiting a little longer but at least we'll know what to look for.
big_smile.png

My EEs are right at 17 weeks old and none of them look very close at all. I have 5, and only one is starting to get red in the face, but her comb is still pretty much non existent. I'm gonna guess they have at least another 4 weeks, maybe more. I got mine from Cackle Hatchery. They said their hens grow to an average of 5 1/2 to 6lbs. If you get yours hatchery stock, you can generally go online and look up that breed on their site and they will tell you about how big they will get. No squatting yet. They are the smallest in my flock, except for the cochin bantams I have. Hope you get eggs soon!

My EEs are right at 17 weeks old and none of them look very close at all. I have 5, and only one is starting to get red in the face, but her comb is still pretty much non existent. I'm gonna guess they have at least another 4 weeks, maybe more. I got mine from Cackle Hatchery. They said their hens grow to an average of 5 1/2 to 6lbs. If you get yours hatchery stock, you can generally go online and look up that breed on their site and they will tell you about how big they will get. No squatting yet. They are the smallest in my flock, except for the cochin bantams I have. Hope you get eggs soon! Thanks
wink.png
I hope you do too...nice blue eggs!!!!!!!!!!!
I bought hatching eggs from a local breeder. We gathered the eggs right out of the nesting boxes and I took them home and popped them in the 'bator"! 5 out of 5 eggs hatched. It was the easiest incubation, ever! Three turned out to be cockerels and were re-homed but they only cost me $1 per egg so I'm happy with my two girls. They don't look anything like the parent birds who had gold, brown and tan patterned feathers. Mine are solid black (Ebony) and white (Angel). The 3 cockerels were all solid black...So, I'm wondering what the "grandparent" birds were?

I think the EE's will be the smallest in my flock too -except for the silkies, but I keep them penned seperate because of their vaulted skulls. My PBR, BO and RIR aren't very nice to newbies or babies so I have a towel hanging down in the "large fowl" coop. The younger girls go on one side and the big girls go on the other. It really cuts down on the pecking during roosting each night.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom