The EE braggers thread!!!

My little Mystery laid her first egg today!!! She is definitely an EE!! It is so cute, little and green. You can see how small it is, I took a pic of it next to a Coturnix Quail egg
tongue.png

My little Mystery laid her first egg today!!! She is definitely an EE!! It is so cute, little and green. You can see how small it is, I took a pic of it next to a Coturnix Quail egg
tongue.png

AWWWW CONGRATS!!!!!!
yippiechickie.gif
Beautiful little egg. How old is she? I'm still waiting on my first egg from one of my EEs as well as my ducks - it's torture-

I can't remember what thread I saw the decussion about leg color was, but here goes.....on EE legs, you have slate, greenish and willow. What exactly is willow? I would like to check my EE's to see if they have willow legs.

Hi all, the black and white girls I posted about a few weeks back are now nearly 9 weeks and definitely hens! Both absolutely gorgeous, can't wait to see what their offspring looks like with my roo.

Ok, so I have a question. I'm not trying to be controversial or anything but I'm really trying to make sense of this. I see people all over BYC refer to two different breeds crossed as a mutt. Yet when someone crosses a EE to another breed it's considered an EE. That makes no sense. Technically, it should also be a mutt, right? I mean you can't just pull EE's out of no-where. You'd have to start with SOMETHING to get an EE, they're not unicorns and certainly would have to be an intentional cross breed like a sexlink. So an EE would have to start with what, a Araucana + random egg layer?
hu.gif

Hi all, the black and white girls I posted about a few weeks back are now nearly 9 weeks and definitely hens!   Both absolutely gorgeous, can't wait to see what their offspring looks like with my roo. 

Ok, so I have a question.  I'm not trying to be controversial or anything but I'm really trying to make sense of this.  I see people all over BYC refer to two different breeds crossed as a mutt.  Yet when someone crosses a EE to another breed it's considered an EE.  That makes no sense.  Technically, it should also be a mutt, right?  I mean you can't just pull EE's out of no-where.  You'd have to start with SOMETHING to get an EE, they're not unicorns and certainly would have to be an intentional cross breed like a sexlink.   So an EE would have to start with what, a Araucana + random egg layer?  :confused:

EE is not a breed. It's a 'nickname' for any chicken that lays a colored egg. It most likely has Araucana or Ameraucana in its genetic makeup. The Ameraucana breeders call purebred Ameraucanas 'EEs' if the don't meet the breed standard or don't breed true 50% of the time.
EE can be a mutt but isn't always.

I want to play now! If you can believe it, I have read this entire thread! So we started off with an "Araucana" from the local IFA (if I understand it, it is a local version of TSC, not related but the same kind of company). I very quickly figured out that she was an EE and not an Araucana, which was fine with me because I wanted colored eggs and wasn't really impressed with the way the Araucana look (I am sure I am spelling that wrong). Her name was Penny and she quickly became everyone's favorite. The chicks' temporary pen was blown over in a freak windstorm, and the entire pen ended up on top of Penny. It was heartbreaking and we had a funeral for her with all of the kids in attendance (between my husband and I, we have seven). I promised them that I would get a new EE for them, and of course I had to get two so they wouldn't be lonely. The two of them make 8 total in the flock (seven pullets and hopefully only one boy), though they are still too young to integrate with the teenagers. I cannot get the two of them to eat from my hand, but they are convinced that I am their (neglectful) mama. The first few nights I had them, they would peep very loudly until I held them, then they would go to sleep. I really felt like I was rocking a baby to sleep. I don't have to rock them to sleep anymore, but they still are convinced that I should. So, here are my pics:

First, one of Penny, since she started my obsession with EE's. She was hard to get a picture of, but this is my favorite, she is in the back:\

Opal at just shy of a week:

Pearl the same day (I could never get a picture to show it but her down was actually green):

My DH's favorite pic of Pearl, he has titled it "Oh Hai!"

Pearl has a cotton ball for a tail and her butt feathers are quite fluffy/stringy:

...and some from today...
First up, Opal's preferred mode of transportation (she just kinda goes limp when you pick her up like this. It seems very relaxing for her):

The two together:

"No really Mom, this is how you're supposed to do it!"

I usually don't permit them to get to that point, but DH wanted to get a pic. Usually, I make them sit on my lap and cuddle them that way, but they have been trying to convince me that this is the way to do it. They will be five weeks old in two days. Both of them are starting to show some lacing on their feathers. I am guessing that they will be very pretty. Perhaps if they continue to think that I am "mom" they will stay friendly. My other's have decided that I am an occasional food dispenser, but that is all :(

I want to play now! If you can believe it, I have read this entire thread! So we started off with an "Araucana" from the local IFA (if I understand it, it is a local version of TSC, not related but the same kind of company). I very quickly figured out that she was an EE and not an Araucana, which was fine with me because I wanted colored eggs and wasn't really impressed with the way the Araucana look (I am sure I am spelling that wrong). Her name was Penny and she quickly became everyone's favorite. The chicks' temporary pen was blown over in a freak windstorm, and the entire pen ended up on top of Penny. It was heartbreaking and we had a funeral for her with all of the kids in attendance (between my husband and I, we have seven). I promised them that I would get a new EE for them, and of course I had to get two so they wouldn't be lonely. The two of them make 8 total in the flock (seven pullets and hopefully only one boy), though they are still too young to integrate with the teenagers. I cannot get the two of them to eat from my hand, but they are convinced that I am their (neglectful) mama. The first few nights I had them, they would peep very loudly until I held them, then they would go to sleep. I really felt like I was rocking a baby to sleep. I don't have to rock them to sleep anymore, but they still are convinced that I should. So, here are my pics:

Opal at just shy of a week:

I LOVE Opal!!
love.gif
Oh no, look what you've done. Now I'M broody for more babies!
barnie.gif
gig.gif

She is just SO precious! I'm loving that color!

Back
Top Bottom