The EE braggers thread!!!

I don't know if these two count, but they hatched from my flock of buff orpingtons (the rooster is an orpington), EEs, welsummers, RIRs and blue cochins....

Being as they both have greenish tinged legs, poofy faces, and pea comb, I'm going to roll with it that these two are buff orpington x EE crosses.

I'm pretty sure the first is a hen....

Not as sure about the second, hoping for a hen as well though.
The second does look rooish : in the length & width of the comb + seem to have thicker legs -any profile photos?

Okay, here's some more photos--- I apologize for the poor quality... it's after dark here so these are just taken in the bathroom where the brooder is set up.

(the reddish uplighting is from the heatlamp which is down and to the side of the sink s/he is perched on, just fyi)

pfft... maybe my dad was being prophetic when he dubbed this one "Spike". How could a chicky named Spike be a girl. D:

(Most of the time he was worried about finding his Momma :) )

Born July 22nd 2012.
WOW! Beautiful colours- what cross was this? Body shape is just like mine but yours must be bigger as mine born mid may & looks same size. Yours looks like a hen-correct? I am SO interested in seeing these crosses, Thankyou

Thank you so much-she is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!! Whoops- talking about TRIXIE -to Mama Hen

Last edited:
Sorry 3 posts at once but I am so grateful you guys are showing some cross EEs. I will be keeping Jacob ( AND all his brothers!) so if I rebreed him to a cochin I might get a girl that looks like Trixie . Wish i could get one of those beautful black & whites as well. Look forward to seeing more EE xs. I firmly believe that crosses (just like dog crosses or mongrels -hate thate word- have got to be good for their health. I imagine that is why EEs are so hardy.

My EEs are definitely the hardiest of my flock. I got 5 in March as day old chicks and still have each of them. One is laying a bright blue green egg. I have raised several breeds and have had the best luck with EE's, Welsummers, and red sex links. I love the look of Brahmas, but to me, they just were not hardy. Started out with 8, now down to one rooster. He is an awesome rooster, but one out of 8 just aren't favorable odds...same story with polish, had 5, down to 1 roo, and he's a weirdo. Likes to be by himself a lot. I kinda feel bad for him, hope it's not because he's lonely for being the weirdest looking bird in the yard....I am tempted to get him some girls at the fair lol.

Okay, here's some more photos--- I apologize for the poor quality... it's after dark here so these are just taken in the bathroom where the brooder is set up.

(the reddish uplighting is from the heatlamp which is down and to the side of the sink s/he is perched on, just fyi)

pfft... maybe my dad was being prophetic when he dubbed this one "Spike". How could a chicky named Spike be a girl. D:
Sorry can't be 100% sure at this age, but in both posts this one looks like a boy to me too.

I'm starting to think you're right--- I was looking at him this morning and his comb is slightly redder and wider than the other EE cross. Bummer. Now I have two roos to deal with. Ahh well. As long as the other two stay hens, I'm good.

Back
Top Bottom