The EE braggers thread!!!

A cute EE story: I had a cochin and an EE hen go broody at the same time. I did not want ANY more chicks but they sat on every newly laid egg & stole eggs from each other , drove me nuts. SO.. I let the cochin(Emily) have the one egg that they had fought over for 10 days & gave a newly laid egg to my EE (Alice). Emily sat on that egg & basically only got off twice in about 10 days, she was VERY skinny. Emily, my practical EE had a 5 minute feed & water each day.

Any way.. I did a bad thing... once I knew for sure Emily's egg was a dud, I stole the egg from under Alice & gave it to Emily because I did not think she could sit for much longer .I gave a new egg to Alice- another 21 days! So, Emily hatched the egg and Alice is still sitting on hers but she is also being a great Aunt to this one.She is much more protective than Emily is. I really hope her egg hatches- due on 26th. Alice will be an awesome mum.

Hi, This will be my first go at posting pictures of the girls.. now they are hatchery Ameraucanas which i think means they default down to EE's lol so as not to ruffle feathers i'll choose to post them here.

For the Canadians i got these through performance poultry, in south eastern Ontario.
smile.png
They are practically 6mths old and have been great, super healthy and grown well. Still not laying but i expect before the year is out we may..

Now i believe the rest of the birds are referred to as the chipmunk coloring? If you look closely all the 3 are differently marked and two have muffs? cheeks?

Yes, the blonde one was back in the shot again, she's actually the most dominate and a real fire cracker of the flock lol

This last shot shows, all 4 finally....

I had a devil of a time getting shots, they really didn't trust this odd thing in from of them(my phone lol) anyhow.. thanks for letting me share!

Last edited:
I have always found EEs to be extremely hardy. I have many different breeds and have lost at least one of each to a sickness over the years I've had them, but never an EE.

That's interesting to hear, i know i have read good things about them. These are my first chickens so i admit i went into it a bit, hesitant but all has gone well so far.

What do you guys cross your EE's with?

Will they generally breed true to color or is it just a roll of the dice?

Hi, This will be my first go at posting pictures of the girls.. now they are hatchery Ameraucanas which i think means they default down to EE's lol so as not to ruffle feathers i'll choose to post them here.

For the Canadians i got these through performance poultry, in south eastern Ontario.
smile.png
They are practically 6mths old and have been great, super healthy and grown well. Still not laying but i expect before the year is out we may..

Now i believe the rest of the birds are referred to as the chipmunk coloring? If you look closely all the 3 are differently marked and two have muffs? cheeks?

Yes, the blonde one was back in the shot again, she's actually the most dominate and a real fire cracker of the flock lol

This last shot shows, all 4 finally....

I had a devil of a time getting shots, they really didn't trust this odd thing in from of them(my phone lol) anyhow.. thanks for letting me share!
Very pretty. Your lighter one looks a lot like my Chantilly. The other three started as chicks w/ chipmunk coloring, but as adults that color/pattern is generally referred to as wild type.

There are certian colors and patterns that are very common for most hatchery EE (as in not designer mixed ) but they do not "breed true" generally. Mine are first generation Meyers hatchery so are not mixed ................................. yet.

I want to cross with cochins, because the cochins are so fluffy (I live in MI, cold a lot) and they are sweet, and as seen above great broodies. My EE's haven't brooded for me. I also like d'uccles, and orloffs. I think EEs are smart, timid sometimes, so i prefer to keep them with other docile breeds :) Oh, and i can't forget orpingtons! All those breeds except orloffs like to brood, and are gentle quiet birds. Orloffs are and endangered breed, so more expensive, but they do lay during the winter supposably so i'm considering adding them to the mix. My orpington also layed through the winter. My d'uccles don't lay in the winter, but are sweet and timid (private bred stock) I've heard stories about d'uccles beating up big hens though, so ???? (those were hatchery stock) The ones i have are sweet though, and wouldn't hurt a flea. :) Silkie crosses are neat also, they will have the "hairdos" on top :D

I use no supplemental heat or light, but have a big bay window with a perch in it for sunning, which helped a lot. My orpington came into lay when the snow flew, and layed almost every day until spring when she went broody as soon as the temperatures stabilized!

One my little blue EE's still very young started to crow today. It sounded like a little tinker toy, more like a little song bird than a chicken.

It's the tallest one in the pic.. Ive never had one crow this young. I Wish the Crowing would stay cute like that.
EE's Rock!

I have EE(red partridge) and Blue JG roo .... and Now EE roo from them and I get ALOT of diffrent colors Here's the Line Up.
First Dad Blue JG

Mom RedPartridge EE

Their Kids.. there was also a Blonde/blue Roo like my red/blue roo...(I rehomed it)

Now Their Kids...

of course not the silkie though.

With EE's it's a total toss up!!!! and I love it!!!!
I get mainly blue and black ish....but I sometimes get browns and blondes and total mixed up colors.
In my opinion since I mixed with JG, the roos are very quick to tell cause the comb gets red fast but not big, but super red by 6wks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom