the [egg] wait is driving me crazy!!!

Quote:
Same for me.
sad.png
I don't know why mine are soooooo slow in maturing.
hmm.png

Chicken squatting for me since Sat/Sun but still no eggs.
sad.png
They are getting friendlier, when they see me they run towards me and will follow me into their pen too. They get to free range in the yard for almost the entire day too. Getting very anxious!

the two older barredrock girls are 27 weeks and we have one that is 24 weeks also...none are laying.
th.gif
they have a nest box but they roost on it and poop everywhere..now i feel we need to make a new nest box but i don't know where to put it. will they still lay if they don't know they are supposed to lay?
idunno.gif

Quote:
nature will take it's course and they will eventually, but meantime just clean the box out, and every night for as long as it takes, go out and check them, if they're in the nest, take them and put them on a perch. check a few hours later, and do the same... eventually they'll learn to perch rather than nest.

Quote:
are they hatchery stock? Chances are they will not lay super dark eggs from a hatchery. Doesn't mean they are mutts, just that hatcheries breed towards production, and not towards breed standards.

We got her from a guy at my husband's work who breeds chickens (as a hobby) and hatched her himself...he said she's full BCM, but I'll get my hubby to ask him where he got the stock he bred from. It's fine if she's not up to standards, in the chicken world. I'm just curious, is all...we got her for free, and we love her to bits, and she does look like a full blooded Maran...

Thanks for the advice; her second egg was quite a bit darker, well, it had lots more dark speckles, anyway....

One more hen to go with the waiting game, but that will be a couple more months now, and then we'll be adding more in the spring!

lucky you! BTW, I think it takes them a while for their systems to get egg production right, so everything from shell color, to egg size and even egg content are all wildly different for the first few eggs...who knows. Her eggs may darken a bit?

Back
Top Bottom