The elusive red face of my pullet Dotty.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by my first peepers, Sep 15, 2008.

1. my first peepers

my first peepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    South Western VT
    My EE girls are just about 16 weeks and I know that's on the early side for eggs but one of them has gotten very red in the comb/face/ear area so I got all excited. Today when I went out she wasn't nearly as red as she has been for the last week! What does this mean? How can the color come and go like that? Is redness a sure sign of eggs coming?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

My turken does the same thing. But she is so little, so I attribute it to nature. I guess when it stays constant that will our sign [​IMG]

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    they can get more red when excited. ie: you bringing food, chasing bugs, chicken argument, etc.

it is totally normal. watch a roo when he gets huffy with the ladies, he'll get all red. same with turkeys and some humans when caught being not-so-honest![​IMG]

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I've noticed it comes and goes like that with mine (I'm watching like crazy because I'm looking for a first egg, too) when the temperature shifts.

One is consistently redder, but when it's warm, it's very bright and obvious. Arent' combs and whatnot naturally a bit for dispersing body heat? I think I read that somewhere...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by