The EMERGENCY Thread!!!

Pics
​NEW EMERGENCY!

​I have a young pullet, Polish cross,  probably about eight months old, who prolapsed sometime in the night while laying her first egg.  The first egg was hard shelled and a good size, but coming out big end first.  It was hanging out of her, encased in tissue.  It's cold here and the tissue was frozen to the egg.  We brought her in the house, lubed it up with coconut oil and worked it out.  She continued to push and we realized she had a second, soft shelled egg coming out right behind the first.  Both eggs were intact, with no leakage.  We soaked her for several minutes in Epsom salts.  This afternoon I bought and applied Preparation H as the tissue doesn't want to stay inside her.  She is acting completely normal, eating and drinking and feisty.  She managed to pass feces this afternoon.
​How often can I soak her in Epsom salts?  Should I be doing anything other than the Prep H application?  I have Oxy Tetracycline; should I put her on it?  I have reduced her light cycle to stop her laying again and have her in the house in a cat carrier, on a soft blanket.  Try as I might the tissue doesn't want to go back in at the moment.  It was badly stretched by the first egg coming out the wrong way (it was more sideways than anything).
Thanks for any and all help.

Eggs come down the repro tract pointy end first, then right before they lay them they rotate and come out "big end" first.

-Kathy

your post was read and responded to, more information was requested from you
i am glad it was nothing

This is the response you received:

Then I am sorry if it was responded to but I for some reason am or seeing it at all I was as but freaked out so I do apologize.
Yes i am glad it was nothing juat when I was reading about red butts oh goodness tmi thought she was gonner

Eggs come down the repro tract pointy end first, then right before they lay them they rotate and come out "big end" first.

-Kathy

That is something I DID NOT know, thank you for that. It seems hers only half completed the turn before the sprint to home plate.

Hi everybody,

I have found that a lot of people that make a thread about their emergency sometimes don't get answers until its too late so i am making this thread so that all those people needing IMMEDIATE help! I will need other people to join to help in answering too! 

[COLOR=333333]When you have a problem please write New Emergency: In Bold and Italics. Also, please give us a good description of what is going on as well as a picture if it will be helpful but don't give us a marathon story please. Here are some guidelines on what information to give us:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]When replying to an emergency or to advice someone has given please quote their text so that we know whois talking to who![/COLOR]

So hit us with your problems!

Did you have a question to post?
[/quote]
I did but I couldn't figure out how to post. Im sorry. I had a sick chick, but she passed away already. Im new to having chicks. It came on all of a sudddn. It came on quickly. I kept her warm & attempted to hydrate her. But it was too late

Last edited:
Did you have a question to post?
I did but I couldn't figure out how to post. Im sorry. I had a sick chick, but she passed away already. Im new to having chicks. It came on all of a sudddn. It came on quickly. I kept her warm & attempted to hydrate her. But it was too late[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

Let us know if any more chicks become ill, we will try to help the best we can.

Thank you very much for being so kind. The other 4 are doing well. I'm just sad because I thought she was just shy. I'm so glad my friend referred me here, I have so much to learn.

Thank you very much for being so kind. The other 4 are doing well. I'm just sad because I thought she was just shy. I'm so glad my friend referred me here, I have so much to learn.

When you have time introduce yourself on the new members page so you can be properly welcomed
smile.png
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/44/new-member-introductions

BYC has a lot a great information on raising chicks in the learning center. All of us at some point have been "new" chicken owners. There is always something to learn. Let us know if you need any help.

Back
Top Bottom